Dennard, Adams discuss controversial foul calls in heartbreaking loss to No. 18 Nebraska

MSU football players discuss finding motivation to close out the season and discuss the controversial calls from last Saturday’s game.

Photo by Matt Sheehan | The State News

Darqueze Dennard played the game of his life Saturday.

The junior cornerback finished with two interceptions, four tackles, one called-back touchdown and one controversial pass interference penalty.

On Dennard’s second interception of the day, he picked off Nebraska quarterback Taylor Martinez deep in the redzone and returned the ball about 90 yards for a touchdown. However, a personal foul called on senior cornerback Johnny Adams during the return negated the score, and put the Spartans (5-5 overall, 2-4 Big Ten) back at their own 10 yard line.

“It’s going to haunt me because I took a great play back from my teammate,” Adams said.

“He went 90-some odd yards — I don’t know if you guys know — (and the) touchdown probably (would have) helped seal the game so it hurts me more than anything.”

Dennard’s pass interference was called on the final drive of the game, and allowed Nebraska to get another shot at the end zone, which the Huskers took advantage of, scoring the game-winning touchdown.

However, the pass interference call drew a lot of eyes, with many of the players and even defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi saying they didn’t see where the problem came from.

Head coach Mark Dantonio said he has spoken with Big Ten officials about the penalties, but those conversations will remain private.

“These are all tough things — things that go on in the game of football,” he said. “Needless to say, I’m disappointed in them, but what are you going to do?”

When asked which play stung him more, Dennard said it was his own penalty that resonates with him more.

He added even though his long touchdown return was taken off the books, it wasn’t as important to him.

“A win would have felt better,” he said. “It’s not about personal goals — it’s about the team.”

Share and discuss “Dennard, Adams discuss controversial foul calls in heartbreaking loss to No. 18 Nebraska” on social media.