UAB’s ‘Rocky Horror’ successful, engaging

Animal science junior Heather Stark laughs with friends Friday at the International Center. Stark was dressed up for a showing of the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" put on by the UAB and the Wharton Center Student Marketing Organization. James Ristau/The State News
Animal science junior Heather Stark laughs with friends Friday at the International Center. Stark was dressed up for a showing of the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" put on by the UAB and the Wharton Center Student Marketing Organization. James Ristau/The State News —
Photo by James Ristau | and James Ristau The State News

At 9 p.m. Friday, biological science-interdepartmental freshman Robert Becker paid tribute to the well-known ‘70s film character, Rocky.

When the University Activities Board, or UAB, and Wharton Center Student Marketing Organization announced they would host a showing of the interactive movie “Rocky Horror Picture Show” in the International Center, Becker decided to channel the character by sporting tight, gold shorts — nothing else.

“I’ve absolutely loved this show ever since I first saw it, so I wanted to go all out,” Becker said. “It’s just such bad acting, and I love the songs. I just absolutely love all of it.”

Becker wasn’t the only fan to pay homage to the movie with costume. Although dietetics sophomore Mikaela Chambers only had seen part of the film prior to the showing, she decided to dress as Magenta, one of Dr. Frank-N-Furter’s loyal servants from the film.

“I’d seen the first half, but I missed the last half,” Chambers said. “It was always something I thought was cool, and I love costumes, so I decided to come.”

Meanwhile, other students came out to enjoy the show for the first time, including human biology freshman Sienna Kotch.

“From what I’ve heard, it’s a lot of singing and dancing and a naked man,” Kotch said. “I’m excited because everyone else here seems really into it, and I’m just excited to be that into it, too.”

“Rocky Horror Picture Show” is known for its original viewing experience. In the ‘70s, midnight showings of the film became known for the crowd interaction. At certain parts of the film, the crowd is supposed to squirt water guns, throw toast and more.

The tradition was continued when UAB provided students with prop bags during the showing including all of the items they would need.
“I am really excited to hear all of the creative things people will be shouting,” biochemistry and molecular biology freshman Aaron Oom said.

Advertising junior Rikki Jarvis, UAB’s director of special events, said the premise of the event is about more than just a movie.
“‘Rocky Horror (Picture Show)’ is such an interactive thing to do,” Jarvis said. “We wanted to bring a lot of people to promote what we want to do.”

Other events were held across campus at the same time as the showing, but Jarvis said the turnout still was positive.

“With the hockey game and the rain and Dayglow, we didn’t have the turnout that I had expected,” Jarvis said. “But 360 people showed up, and that was really nice, and I think they all enjoyed themselves.”

Share and discuss “UAB’s ‘Rocky Horror’ successful, engaging” on social media.