Steve Martin will play at Wharton

Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers will perform at 7 p.m. Nov. 4 in Cobb Great Hall at Wharton Center for “an evening of bluegrass and comedy.”

Steve Martin made his name through comedy and roles in various movies, such as “The Pink Panther.” Martin also has released several books and albums.

The Steep Canyon Rangers, a bluegrass music group from Brevard, N.C., first teamed up with Martin on the banjo for a performance on a 2009 broadcast of “A Prairie Home Companion.” They worked with Martin again in 2011 for their collaborative record, “Rare Bird Alert.” The album debuted at No. 1 on Billboard’s Bluegrass Chart and features guest vocalists such as Paul McCartney and the Dixie Chicks. It was nominated for the Grammy for Best Bluegrass Album.

Martin has been playing the banjo for about 50 years. The collaboration led to the group being named Entertainer of the Year at the International Bluegrass Music Association Awards in Nashville, Tenn.

Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers have played countless shows across the country since. They also have made appearances on “The Late Show with David Letterman” and “The Colbert Report,” and have received several reviews admiring Martin’s ability to play the banjo and deliver comedy.

Ticket prices range from $35-$65 and are available at Wharton Center Box Office.

Share and discuss “Steve Martin will play at Wharton ” on social media.