Fonoti injured, out six weeks

Senior offensive tackle Fou Fonoti greets Notre Dame junior defensive end Justin Utupo after the game on Saturday, Sept. 15, 2012. The Spartans lost to Notre Dame 20-3. Julia Nagy/The State News
Senior offensive tackle Fou Fonoti greets Notre Dame junior defensive end Justin Utupo after the game on Saturday, Sept. 15, 2012. The Spartans lost to Notre Dame 20-3. Julia Nagy/The State News —
Photo by Julia Nagy | and Julia Nagy The State News

Fou Fonoti was unavailable to play against Notre Dame on Saturday, and a foot injury is expected to keep him out for an extended period of time.

The senior offensive tackle was named a captain for Saturday’s game, but he was ruled out of the Spartans’ lineup and was forced to watch from the sidelines.

Sophomore offensive tackle Skyler Burkland played in Fonoti’s place.

The Spartans lost the game to Notre Dame, 20-3.

Head football coach Mark Dantonio said after the game that Fonoti suffered a foot injury in practice on Thursday, and offensive coordinator Dan Roushar said he expected the senior to be out at least six weeks.

The offensive line struggled in his absence, giving up four sacks and producing the team’s lowest rushing output of the season.

Fonoti, a former junior college transfer and native of Lakewood, Calif., could elect to use a medical redshirt and return next season, although a decision has yet to be made.

Burkland and junior offensive tackle Dan France are expected to man the two tackle positions while Fonoti is out.

Share and discuss “Fonoti injured, out six weeks” on social media.