Hariet Brown provides music in intimate venue

People gather to watch Chicago-based singer/songwriter Owen perform, Thursday, June 28, 2012 at the Hariet Brown house located at 1124 Snyder Rd.  The house is occupied by four MSU students who host musical acts for fans to come enjoy.  Adam Toolin/The State News
People gather to watch Chicago-based singer/songwriter Owen perform, Thursday, June 28, 2012 at the Hariet Brown house located at 1124 Snyder Rd. The house is occupied by four MSU students who host musical acts for fans to come enjoy. Adam Toolin/The State News

When Josh Michels wants to see a live musical performance, he doesn’t have to travel any farther than his own garage.

Michels, a media arts and technology senior, currently resides in a house in East Lansing that also doubles as a music venue.

“When we were looking for a house, we wanted a space where we could play music and have the opportunity to host other bands as well,” he said.

Michels said during the past 11 months, he has been living in the house — which was named Hariet Brown, 1124 Snyder Road — and he and his three roommates have hosted about one show a month in their garage, except during the summer when they hold events more frequently. The most recent performance took place June 28 and featured the sounds of Chicago-based solo artist Mike Kinsella, who uses the stage name Owen.

Michels said house members welcome bands of all genres to come perform, and past shows have showcased groups ranging from folk music to post-rock.

“We really haven’t limited it to one genre,” he said. “A lot of it is our friends’ bands or bands of friends.”

Doug Mains, lead singer and songwriter for Lansing-based folk act Doug Mains & the City Folk, has performed at Hariet Brown and also has attended several shows there.

Mains said he enjoys playing his songs and listening to other bands at the venue because it is an intimate space filled with people who are appreciative of music.

“It’s like a combination of being a house party and a concert,” he said. “It’s just in a garage, but it somehow still gives the vibe of a real show.”

Okemos, Mich., resident Emily Morgan, who has visited the performance space, said she likes being a part of the tightly knit community of music enthusiasts who often attend shows there.

“Usually when I go to the Hariet Brown, I recognize the majority of the people there — or at least a good sum,” she said. “I feel very connected to the shows there.”

Morgan said the performers she has seen were engaging, and it was evident they are passionate about their work, which made her experience more pleasant.

“It’s really homey in a certain sense that a lot of the people there are just incredibly friendly, and the bands that play are of very high quality,” she said.

Mains, who often performs at local venues, such as (SCENE) Metrospace, 110 Charles St., among others, said he believes Hariet Brown has become a well-respected performance space in the area.

“It’s always exciting to see new venues, new playing spaces, popping up in Lansing just because it’s exciting to see the Lansing area really appreciate music,” he said.

Michels said he and the rest of his roommates renewed their lease and will live in the house for
another year to provide the community with space for music lovers can come to share
their passion.

“We want to continue having the space for our friends and friends’ friends to be able to play music and have people get together,” he said.

Share and discuss “Hariet Brown provides music in intimate venue” on social media.