Face Time with Tony Bucciferro

Senior pitcher Tony Bucciferro winds up for a pitch during a game against Penn State on May 17, 2012. The Spartans lost 3-2. Julia Nagy/The State News
Senior pitcher Tony Bucciferro winds up for a pitch during a game against Penn State on May 17, 2012. The Spartans lost 3-2. Julia Nagy/The State News —
Photo by Julia Nagy | and Julia Nagy The State News

Tony Bucciferro has seen his life go through a whirlwind of changes in the last month.

Two weeks ago, the then-senior pitcher led the MSU baseball team to its first NCAA Tournament berth since 1979 in the Palo Alto Regional in Palo Alto, Calif. The Spartans were eliminated with consecutive losses to Pepperdine and Fresno State.

Shortly thereafter, Bucciferro was selected in the 14th round (No. 441 overall) of the 2012 MLB First-Year Player Draft by the Chicago White Sox, making him the highest drafted Spartan pitcher since Josh Axelson was selected in the fifth round by the St. Louis Cardinals in 2000.

The State News caught up with Bucciferro to discuss the NCAA Tournament, his MLB Draft experience and returning to school to finish his degree.

— Compiled by Dillon Davis, The State News

Tell me a little bit about your NCAA Tournament experience.
“Oh I mean, it was an experience. I mean, it was the first time we did that in 33 years and, you know, it was a great experience for our team. We gotta go out to Cali and represent our school and play for the national championship.”

Having been a part of both a Big Ten championship team in 2011 and an NCAA Tournament team in 2012, which accomplishment means more to you?
“I mean, they were both extremely good accomplishments. It’s crazy what we’ve been able to do in the last couple years for our program. The success of it just keeps building on from it. We got a lot of good guys coming back and I don’t see our program faltering at any point.”

Being selected by the White Sox makes a lifelong dream something of a reality for you. What was that experience like?
“I woke up that morning, sat outside on my pool deck just with my laptop, waiting for my name to be called and it took about five hours. But it was exciting. Once it happened, it was a relief. I was getting a lot of calls from different organizations and the White Sox weren’t even on my radar. Out of nowhere, at a fortunate time, they gave me a call and asked me if I’d sign and I told them I would and 30 seconds later, I was a (member of the) White Sox.”

Other than the White Sox, what other teams were you in contact with?
“Before the draft, I had about six teams calling. (Chicago) Cubs, (Texas) Rangers, Detroit (Tigers), they all were talking to me. During the draft, the (Philadelphia) Phillies were talking to me — that’s the one that sticks out the most. I haven’t talked to the White Sox since Christmas so it was pretty surprising, pretty cool.”

What does it mean to you to have a shot to play professional baseball?
“It was a dream since I was a little kid to play pro ball and it’s a great opportunity to represent everything I’ve done in my past onward. At the same time, hopefully I can move up and keep playing on different minor league teams and someday make it all the way to the bigs. Right now, it’s just one thing at a time, stay healthy, doing my work and getting better and see where it goes from there.”

What team were you a fan of when you were growing up? Was it the White Sox?
“I was more of a Braves fan just because they were always on TBS so when I’d come home from school, I’d watch them. But my dad and my sister were Cubs fans and the rest of my family were (White) Sox fans so I was kind of stuck in between that.
I mean, I’m definitely a Sox fan now since they gave me the opportunity.”

Taking on a new experience like this can be a difficult task. Have you talked to anyone for advice on making the leap to professional baseball?
“I haven’t talked to many people lately but I’ve talked to (former Spartan A.J.) Achter about it before, I’ve talked to other people before. Other than that and a few other conversations, I’m pretty much just doing it by myself and going with things and seeing how it plays out.”

You weren’t the only Spartan selected in the MLB Draft. In fact, three juniors — second baseman Ryan Jones, third baseman Torsten Boss and pitcher and outfielder Tony Wieber — were picked as well. What does it mean for MSU to have these guys leave the program early?
“I mean, it’s great for the program. I can’t be happier for Jones, Boss and Wieber. They deserve it; they work hard. You know, for the program, that just takes us one step further. Every draft pick that we have helps with recruiting,

Since you weren’t able to finish your degree this spring, will you be returning to MSU to do that in the near future?
“That’s the reason why I played baseball is school, you know. I went to school and played baseball, I didn’t play baseball and go to school, you know what I’m saying? I wanted to get my degree because it’s something to fall back on if I’m unsuccessful in the pros. I need a fall back and that’s why I went to Michigan State in the first place: to go to a good school and get a degree. That’s what I want to do and the sooner, the better. The White Sox are being good about it and you know, they’re going to let me come back and finish it up in the fall.”

Share and discuss “Face Time with Tony Bucciferro” on social media.