Spartan players, fans rejoice in Clash at Comerica experience

Spartan helmets are stored on the Detroit Lion's dugout. The Spartans defeated the Chippewas by 5-2, on Tuesday May 15, 2012 evening at Comerica Park in Detroit during Clash at Comerica. Justin Wan/The State News
Spartan helmets are stored on the Detroit Lion's dugout. The Spartans defeated the Chippewas by 5-2, on Tuesday May 15, 2012 evening at Comerica Park in Detroit during Clash at Comerica. Justin Wan/The State News —
Photo by Justin Wan | and Justin Wan The State News

Detroit — Any current or former athlete — regardless of age or sport — has at one time or another had visions of playing the game they love on the biggest stage in front of the bright lights.

On a picturesque night with the Detroit skyline dimming in the background, the MSU baseball team got a taste of the big leagues as they downed Central Michigan, 5-2, in the second annual Clash at Comerica — played in the home of the Detroit Tigers, Comerica Park.

More than 3,000 fans piled into the park to see the in-state rivals duke it out on a night of comfortable 70 degree weather.

Although the crowd was roughly a 60-40 split in favor of the hosting Chippewas, it was an energetic bunch and every so often a, “Go Green, Go White” chant could be heard erupting from the stands.

Take me out to the ball game

Sitting in a vacant patch of seats on the MSU side of the stadium was a couple — one sporting a maroon CMU hat, another with a backwards green cap with the Spartan block S. The maroon hat belonged to CMU alumnus Dustin DebRoy, the other to his girlfriend, MSU alumna Sarah Tarp.

“I wanted to sit on (the CMU side), as soon as I came over to this side I felt dirty,” DebRoy said. “I still feel an alliance over there. We stayed over there for an inning and a half … It’s kind of give and take I guess.”

Before he could even finish his thought, Tarp chimed in.

“He did say it is really cool to have (MSU’s) band here,” she said.

DebRoy said he stumbled on the Clash at Comerica when searching online for Tigers tickets recently. Aside from seeing his and his girlfriend’s Alma mater go head-to-head, he said he likes seeing Michigan schools from other conferences play one-another.

“I feel like during Tigers games … people come to just socialize and drink, (whereas) you can tell people here are more into the game, they’re more serious about baseball (and) they’re more devoted to their schools,” he said.

Elementary education junior Tori Howe never expected to be watching her boyfriend, freshman pitcher Mike Mestdagh, play on a major league field.

“It’s exciting — it’s really cool,” Howe said.

The makeup of the crowd also was different from a typical MSU baseball game, she said, adding that there were more casual fans and family friends in attendance because of the grand stage.

Howe’s friend, education sophomore Allie Warren, said the game was exciting because she could see people she knew personally playing in a professional stadium.

“I just think it’s something fun,” Warren said. “(As) a student I would definitely want to experience this in my four years (at MSU).”

MSU alumnus and Grand Rapids resident Garrett Kerndt said he finally found time to catch a MSU baseball game once he heard about the team’s recent success.

“It’s great, it’s a lot of fun to be here,” Kerndt said. “Probably my favorite thing is just seeing that there’s Chippewa fans on one side wearing maroon, there’s MSU fans wearing green — (but) everyone’s wearing Detroit (Tigers) hats.”

Although he enjoyed the special opportunity the Clash at Comerica presented for both players and fans, Kerndt said rather than focusing on scheduling more games at big outside venues, he would prefer to see more fans dedicated to filling McLane Baseball Stadium at Old College Field.

“I think probably getting people to come back to East Lansing would be my number one (concern), but it’s definitely fun to come out here once a year,” he said.

Dream come true

Sophomore catcher Joel Fisher chose a great day to hit his first home run in a Spartan uniform, as he blasted a ball into Comerica Park’s left field stands in the second inning to give MSU a one-run lead.

“It was a neat moment for him,” head coach Jake Boss Jr. said. “I know his family was here, I saw them before the game, so again, (it was) a special moment that he’s never going to forget.”

Fisher said if he’s going to play in a professional ballpark, there’s no other venue he would chose before Comerica Park. He said it was fun playing in the stadium of a team he has watched his entire life, adding he was overcome with goosebumps a few times after the crowd erupted.

“I’d like to think that we bring the same focus to every game no matter where we’re playing, but obviously playing in Comerica in front of a good crowd like this, (there is) a little added pressure and a little added focus,” Fisher said.

After the inaugural Clash at Comerica mostly was remembered for cold weather and underwhelming attendance, Fisher said the atmosphere Tuesday was more energetic.

Boss was thrilled and thankful to continue to be a part of the growing tradition in the Motor City.

“The Tigers organization rolls out the red carpet for us,” Boss said. “And you really couldn’t ask for a better night — the crowd was outstanding, the weather was great and it’s just an honor to be a part of it. I can’t thank Central Michigan enough for having us.”

Share and discuss “Spartan players, fans rejoice in Clash at Comerica experience” on social media.