Spartans hope momentum continues throughout week

Head coach Jake Boss Jr. talks to players as Michigan have three man on base. Michigan defeated Michigan State by 4-3 on Saturday afternoon at McLane Baseball Stadium at Old College Field. Justin Wan/The State News
Head coach Jake Boss Jr. talks to players as Michigan have three man on base. Michigan defeated Michigan State by 4-3 on Saturday afternoon at McLane Baseball Stadium at Old College Field. Justin Wan/The State News —
Photo by Justin Wan | and Justin Wan The State News

For the MSU baseball team, last weekend was a disappointing one.

Not only did the Spartans (19-10 overall, 3-3 Big Ten) drop two of three games, they did so against rival Michigan.

MSU’s one win in the series came Sunday in a 10-8 thriller that lasted 13 innings, and junior Tony Wieber, who was the winning pitcher against the Wolverines, said he hopes that springboards the Spartans forward as they prepare for a 3:05 p.m. matchup with Notre Dame on Tuesday at McLane Baseball Stadium at Old College Field.

“That was a big win for us, especially the way we did it against our rival,” Wieber said. “It should definitely give us confidence heading into this week and the rest of the season.”

Tuesday is the only scheduled game of the season between MSU and the Fighting Irish (17-13), but the two teams did meet in a Sept. 17 exhibition, when Notre Dame came away with a 5-2 win in 10 innings in South Bend, Ind.

Last season, the Spartans beat the Fighting Irish twice, including a 20-3 thrashing in mid-May.

Coming into Tuesday, Notre Dame has lost five of its last six after being swept by Seton Hall last weekend. Much like MSU, which ranks seventh in the Big Ten in runs (160), the Fighting Irish have struggled at times offensively with just 158 runs scored this season.

Head coach Jake Boss Jr. will send freshman right-hander Mick VanVossen to the mound to start Tuesday’s game.

With his team leaving too many runners on base for his liking and giving away at-bats too often, Boss said there won’t be anything fancy about the Spartans’ approach Tuesday or against Eastern Michigan on Wednesday.

“We just need to hit balls hard and just let whatever happens happen,” Boss said. “If we’re making hard outs, then so be it. That’s how the game goes. So that should be the focus this week.”

Share and discuss “Spartans hope momentum continues throughout week” on social media.