Sigma Pi hosts volleyball tournament for charity

Sigma Pi members talk about their annual volleyball tournament, which
brought in close to $1000 for the Wounded Warriors Project.

Photo by Katie Harrington | The State News

More than 200 members of the greek community laughed and smiled as volleyballs flew through the air during Sigma Pi’s annual volleyball tournament Saturday afternoon to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project, a charity that provides aid to servicemen, servicewomen and their families.

The event raised about $1000 from entrance fees, donations and sunglasses the fraternity was selling.

“We just thought, what better way to give back to the community than helping those who sacrifice so much for us,” said Joel Damec, an advertising senior and Sigma Pi house manager. “I don’t think there’s a better organization we could be helping out with.”

Damec said because there are Sigma Pi members who currently are in the ROTC, the choice to donate to the Wounded Warrior Project was even more significant.

Criminal justice junior Trevor Kay, who is an ROTC member at MSU, said being in a fraternity is very similar to being in the ROTC because of the relationships he forms with other members. He said it was good to see two aspects of his life come together for a unified cause.

“It was really great because I had my army friends here and my fraternity brothers here,” he said. “I feel strongly about (the Wounded Warriors Project), and we’ll keep doing it for years.”

The tournament, which has been a Sigma Pi tradition for about 10 years, was sponsored this year by Leo’s Coney Island, 333 Albert Ave., Hooter’s, 172 E. Edgewood Blvd., in Lansing, and Verve Energy Drink. Eleven fraternity and eight sorority teams registered for the tournament, and it was $50 to enter.

“It’s a lot of fun,” said Mary Kate Halm, a social work junior and Pi Beta Phi member. “I like events like this where it’s not just one house. All of the Greek community can come out together and do something for good.”

Media arts and technology senior and Sigma Pi member Joey Vivoda said with the weather warming up, volleyball was a perfect choice of an event, especially since the Sigma Pi house has a volleyball court in the backyard.

“It’s convenient for us,” he said. “We invite everyone over to our house, and we show off what we have. Everyone seems to have a good time.”

Vivoda said charity events are particularly important to him as a member of a fraternity.

“I think especially in the Greek system, we get a lot of bad rep for throwing a lot of parties, but we try to give back as much as we can,” he said. “It’s nice being fortunate enough to be able to help out others who are not.”

Share and discuss “Sigma Pi hosts volleyball tournament for charity” on social media.