Nix’s future uncertain after arrest

MSU basketball player Derrick Nix was arrested on charges of operating a vehicle with the presence of drugs and marijuana possession at 12:20 a.m. Tuesday in East Lansing, according to East Lansing 54-B District Court records.

Nix was pulled over at the intersection of Lake Lansing and Abbot roads and was issued a warning for a red light violation in addition to the drug charges.

Head coach Tom Izzo said in a statement that Nix has been indefinitely suspended from the basketball team, and “his future with (the) program is uncertain.”

“He made an irresponsible decision that has put his future with our program in serious jeopardy,” Izzo said in the statement.

Nix, a junior center, would be the only returning senior on the basketball team next season and is a potential candidate for team captain.

Nix came off the bench most games but averaged 8.1 points and 3.8 rebounds during this past season as the Spartans went on to win the Big Ten regular season and tournament championships.

Nix has been released from custody, a court official confirmed, but the official did not have details on the amount of bond posted. According to a copy of the ticket issued to Nix obtained by The State News, a $200 bond was set at the time of Nix’s arrest.

East Lansing police Capt. Bill Mitchell said the police department would not release any further information on the incident at this time, as Nix has not yet been arraigned.

Nix is required to appear in 54-B District Court within the next four to 10 calendar days for an arraignment, according to a copy of the ticket.

Share and discuss “Nix’s future uncertain after arrest” on social media.