Most pets not allowed in dorms, but can offer students emotional support

When biology junior Christine Sattler had a bad day her freshman year, she dealt with it differently than most students. Instead of listening to music or exercising, all Sattler needed was to come home to her pet hedgehog, Honey.

“If I had a bad day, I could always come back (to my dorm) and pick her up,” Sattler said. “She would play with me, and it was really nice. Pets always provide unconditional love.”

But when Sattler, who lived in Wilson Hall her freshman year, brought Honey to live with her in the dorms, she didn’t know it was against university policy.

According to a university ordinance, animals are not allowed in any university buildings unless they are providing assistance to individuals with disabilities. The only pets allowed in dorm rooms for Living in the Residence Halls.pdf are noncarnivorous fish in a 30-gallon or less tank.

Sattler said although she later learned pets are not allowed, she continued to keep her hedgehog because no one, including her resident mentor, complained.

“I had many people come over, and they enjoyed her company too,” Sattler said. “Even people I didn’t know asked to come in, and they wanted to play with her because they said it was pleasant.”

Linda Kalof, a professor of sociology and director of animal studies at MSU, said keeping a pet can have positive effects for its owner.

“As a matter of fact, having a pet as a companion can do more than just relieve emotional stress,” she said. “Research has shown that having pets can enhance empathy, self-esteem and help young people find friends and confidants. Having a pet can serve as a buffer for development into adulthood.”

And in light of the recent lawsuit against Grand Valley State University, in which a student sued the school for not allowing her to keep a pet guinea pig to help her cope with emotional stress, some MSU students and faculty believe students should be allowed to have pets in their dorms if desired.

“I think that it’s potentially something that colleges should consider rather than a blanket statement against pets,” said Assistant Professor of Animal Science Janice Siegford. “Not all universities and countries have an absolute no-pet policy.”

Siegford said there are numerous scientific studies that suggest owners of dogs, cats and even fish have lower blood pressure and are less likely to have health-related issues. Pets can even help reduce depression for some people, she said.

“The relationships we have with our pets are incredibly strong … and are able to help us negotiate relationships with humans,” Kalof said. “And I think that with the traumatic experience of being forced into a living situation in a dorm, a pet would be a very valuable ambassador in helping people get along with others. To disregard the need for a companion is not a healthy choice.”

Share and discuss “Most pets not allowed in dorms, but can offer students emotional support” on social media.