Rapper follows dreams, embarks on Mich. tour

<p>Chicago-based hip-hop and electronic artist Na Palm has been traveling the country and sharing his music, opening for acts including Pitbull and <span class="caps">LMFAO</span>. He will perform at 9 p.m. Thursday at Lou and Harry’s Grill and Bar, 16800 Chandler Road.</p>

Chicago-based hip-hop and electronic artist Na Palm has been traveling the country and sharing his music, opening for acts including Pitbull and LMFAO. He will perform at 9 p.m. Thursday at Lou and Harry’s Grill and Bar, 16800 Chandler Road.

Thanks to a bit of faith and encouragement from his brother, Craig Palm’s music career has blossomed.

The hip-hop and electronic artist, who goes by Na Palm, began performing at clubs in Chicago, where he lived, and now is traveling the country, sharing his music with countless fans.

“I love doing this because you would never expect it from me,” Na Palm said. “I didn’t come from a musical family. I wasn’t some prodigy.”

The Chicago-based artist will visit East Lansing at 9 p.m. Thursday for the first show on his Rippin’ in the Mitten Tour, which will take place at Lou and Harry’s Grill and Bar, 16800 Chandler Road.

Na Palm will be joined by two other Michigan acts — Mount Pleasant performer DJ Pigpen and East Lansing-based duo The Specktators.

“We’re just going to get crazy,” Na Palm said. “I’ve got a lot of support out in Michigan.”

About four years ago, Na Palm’s brother Michael Palm, who recognized his sibling’s talent early on, encouraged him to start writing songs and performing them, which eventually led Na Palm to start a career in the music industry.

“We took a gamble, and now we’re hustling, and it’s working out OK,” Na Palm said.

Na Palm has opened for other well-known entertainers, such as rapper Pitbull and electro-pop duo LMFAO. He also performed at this year’s South by Southwest Music Conference as an opener for rapper Mickey Avalon.

Although many of Na Palm’s songs tell tales of his breakups or struggles, he said he tries to keep his material positive.

“(I like) the way he can tell a story and put together the rhythm of his rhymes and have it make sense,” said Michael Palm, who also is Na Palm’s manager. “He’s true. He doesn’t rap about things he doesn’t have. Everything he raps about is real.”

When performing for his audience — which sometimes consists of thousands of people — Na Palm said he tries to keep his energy high and put on an entertaining performance.

“I always like to keep it hype,” he said. “I’m always sweating on stage.”

And although his fans might not always get the intimate experience they would at a smaller show, Na Palm said he still tries to connect with his audience and keep them engaged.

“It’s an experience too,” he said. “I’m not just up there rapping. I want them to really feel my music.”

Since he first started writing and performing, Na Palm said his style has evolved immensely.

“Now I’ve found my place,” he said. “A lot of people just have to find their sound. I’m way more comfortable.”

Matt Duda, one of the members of The Specktators, said he and his brother are excited to perform with such an established artist.

“We kind of feel like it’s a long time coming, being able to have an opportunity (like this one),” he said.

Duda said the pair plans to bring more of a classical hip-hop vibe to the electronic atmosphere of the show.

“We hope to bring that kind of energy to it and then let Na Palm take over,” he said. “I think it’ll be a good show with all of that combined.”

Share and discuss “Rapper follows dreams, embarks on Mich. tour” on social media.