MSU sends six wrestlers to Nationals

Following the trend of the season, the MSU wrestling team saw some impressive individual performances at the Big Ten Tournament last weekend, but finished near the bottom as a team.

Led by a fourth place finish by senior 157-pounder Anthony Jones Jr., six Spartan wrestlers placed high enough to automatically qualify for an appearance in the NCAA tournament.

However, the team tied with Indiana for 10th place with a total score of 41 points. Penn State won its second straight Big Ten Tournament by scoring a team total of 149 points.

Seniors 174-pounder Curran Jacobs, 184-pounder Ian Hinton, 165-pounder David Cheza and juniors 149-pounder Dan Osterman and heavyweight Steve Andrus also qualified for the tournament thanks to performances in West Lafayette, Ind.

The NCAA released its seedings for the tournament Wednesday afternoon with Jones at the front of the Spartan pack as a number 10 seed in his class. Jones was the sole MSU wrestler to be seeded and will wrestle Oklahoma State’s Albert White in the first round of the tournament on Thursday.

The NCAA Wrestling Championships will take place in St. Louis from Thursday through Saturday.

Share and discuss “MSU sends six wrestlers to Nationals” on social media.