Alleged armed robbery at Spartan Village, attempted mugging occur during spring break

Although both MSU and East Lansing police departments reported a few unusual crimes during the university’s spring break week, it was business as usual for the most part, with the crime rate on par with past university holidays, police officials said.

Those who remained in the area, particularly in university housing complex Spartan Village, were surprised by the announcement of an alleged armed robbery in the complex that took place at about 8:40 p.m. March 5.

According to a crime alert by the MSU Police Department, the victim was forced into their apartment and held at gunpoint while three suspects took items from the apartment. The suspects were described as three black males between 6 feet and 6 feet 5 inches tall, and the victim knew one of the suspects by the name Antonio. Police determined the suspects left the area in a vehicle parked nearby.

MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said no new information has been released regarding the robbery, but the investigation is ongoing.

Spartan Village resident Jianlong Zou said he and his family were worried about the close proximity of the robbery and are taking extra precautions in and around their apartment in the wake of the situation.

“This one event could affect all of us,” Zou said. “I hope they catch them soon.”

Residential and Hospitality Services Chief Marketing Communication Officer Tony Frewen declined to comment on the matter from a university perspective because it is an ongoing police investigation.

Other than the Spartan Village armed robbery, no major crimes on campus were reported during spring break, McGlothian-Taylor said. However, she said she believed more reports could turn up once students return to school if any thefts occurred.

In East Lansing, an attempted mugging- occurred at about 7:30 p.m. March 6 at the corner of Albert Avenue and Abbot Road when two white males between 5 feet 8 inches to 6 feet tall attempted to steal a young woman’s purse. The woman held on to the purse and the suspects ran away from the scene.

But for the most part, the reports that came through the police department during spring break week were relatively normal for the time of year, East Lansing police Capt. Kim Johnson said.

“So far it’s been pretty quiet,” Johnson said.

Court proceedings

Alleged murderer David Marion Jr. pleaded guilty March 2 to second degree murder for the March 2010 deaths of MSU student Darren Brown and his roommate Owen Goodenow.

In Lansing’s 30th Circuit Court, Marion admitted to going to Brown and Goodenow’s Lansing home with co-conspirator Benjamin French to rob Goodenow of a safe containing money and marijuana. French was sentenced to life in prison without parole in January.

Because he admitted to the murders, the prosecution agreed to charge Marion with two counts of second degree murder and drop all other charges against him, including two counts of first degree murder, Ingham County Assistant Prosecutor Bill Crino said.

Marion will serve a minimum of 40 years in prison under the plea agreement.

Marion’s sentencing is scheduled to be held 8:30 a.m. April 4.

Share and discuss “Alleged armed robbery at Spartan Village, attempted mugging occur during spring break” on social media.