Pitching carries MSU to 3-1 weekend

MSU baseball head coach Jake Boss isn’t upset with his team’s 3-1 weekend at the First Pitch Invitational in Greenville, S.C.

He just knows it could have been better.

Much like the opening weekend, when the Spartans (4-3) went 1-2, MSU was just one run from going undefeated in four games. But a lack of offense limited the Spartans, who beat Furman twice and split with Miami (Ohio) in Greenville.

“I think anytime you can go 3-1 on the weekend, if you can do that every week, you’re going to be pretty good,” Boss said. “I think we probably have yet to play a real clean game defensively. … And at the plate, we’re experiencing a bit of a downward trend, which is concerning.”

After the opening weekend, Boss said his team wasn’t taking the right approach at the plate. That continued into the second weekend of the season, when Boss said he was disappointed with MSU’s inconsistency.

The Spartans scored 11 runs against Miami (Ohio) in the third inning of their first game Friday — a 13-4 win. But Boss said the offense “kind of went south” after that. MSU managed to beat Furman twice Friday and Saturday before losing to the Red Hawks 1-0 Sunday.

“There are a couple young guys that are getting their feet wet,” Boss said. “I think consistency at the plate is something that needs to get better for us. I think guys are still adjusting to new roles.”

Fortunately for Boss, while his young hitters go through growing pains, his veteran pitching staff might be able to carry the load.

Starting with senior right-hander Tony Bucciferro on Friday, MSU pitching gave up just six earned runs in four games. Bucciferro moved to 2-0 on the season and leads a group Boss said will have to keep performing until the hitting catches up.

“We thought we’d be pretty deep on the mound,” Boss said. “All those guys that came out of the bullpen, they gave us a chance, there’s no question about that. But offensively, again, we felt we could put some bigger numbers out there.”

MSU travels to College Station, Texas to take on Texas A&M in a three-game series next weekend. Boss said his team will have to get over its offensive struggles quickly, as the Aggies are ranked No. 6 in the USA Today Coaches poll.

“We’re going to have to make some adjustments against some outstanding ball clubs,” Boss said. “We knew this schedule was going to give us a chance to compete with some of the best teams out there, and I think our program is at a stage where it’s time to do that. But it’s not going to be easy.”

Share and discuss “Pitching carries MSU to 3-1 weekend” on social media.