Ohio rapper performs for enthusiastic Lansing audience

Shaker Heights, OH rapper Machine Gun Kelly points into the crowd while performing. Kelly performed Saturday for an excited crowd at the Loft in Lansing. Anthony Thibodeau/The State News
Shaker Heights, OH rapper Machine Gun Kelly points into the crowd while performing. Kelly performed Saturday for an excited crowd at the Loft in Lansing. Anthony Thibodeau/The State News —
Photo by Anthony Thibodeau | and Anthony Thibodeau The State News

Mobs of Machine Gun Kelly fans swarmed the stage as the artist made his much anticipated entrance Saturday at The Loft, 414 E. Michigan Ave., in Lansing.

Chanting phrases such as “ M-G-K” while jumping up and down with enthusiasm, attendees expressed their excitement for the show that was about to begin.

“When he first came out onto the stage, it was crazy,” Cheyanne Warner, a Port Huron, Mich., resident who attended the show said. “I didn’t think I was claustrophobic until then.”

Machine Gun Kelly, a rapper from Cleveland, performed at 8 p.m. Saturday along with three local acts, Green Skeem, The Specktators and Stryve, at the sold-out event.

Members of Green Skeem, an East Lansing-based electronic and rap duo, said they were excited to perform at the same show as Machine Gun Kelly.

“I think it’s one of our biggest opportunities thus far, as far as live performances go,” group member Danny Wiseman said before the show. “We’re just looking forward to the fact that we get to go out in front of a lot of people and show them what we’re really all about.”

Wiseman and his partner Courtney Rodgers, who both are familiar with Machine Gun Kelly’s work, said they hoped to match the intensity they knew the headliner would bring to the event.

“We have a similar show style to Machine Gun Kelly as far as the energy we try to bring to each one of our performances,” Rodgers said. “He’s crazy with his shows.”

Machine Gun Kelly often incorporated the audience into his performance by talking to them in between songs and crowd surfing on a makeshift surfboard.

The artist performed numerous songs — many of which the crowd rapped along to — including one of his more well-known numbers, “Wild Boy.”

Warner said she found Machine Gun Kelly’s style intriguing and especially enjoyed his lyrics, which sometimes address his struggles with feeling like an outcast.

“He’s inspirational,” she said. “I like the things he talks about in some of his songs.”

Like Machine Gun Kelly, members of Green Skeem, who said much of the content for their songs comes from MSU’s students and their life experiences, attempt to identify with their audience through their lyrics.

“The idea to relate to all the college students around here — that’s a good thing to put into our music,” Wiseman said. “That adds that relatable aspect where we can talk about things that other college students are going through.”

Lansing resident Jenni Cole, who is a longtime fan of both Machine Gun Kelly and Green Skeem, said she was happy to be able to see the two acts live and in the same night.

She said the high-energy feel the two acts give off through their music also could be felt during their performances.

“I love the people out here and the way the music makes you feel,” Cole said. “I feel the speakers throughout my body. I just like the environment.”

Share and discuss “Ohio rapper performs for enthusiastic Lansing audience” on social media.