Folk band to play show, tell stories with songs

Keyboardist and vocalist Bethany Foote, guitarist and vocalist Brandon Foote, and percussionist Ty Forquer of Gifts and Creatures practice for their upcoming show. Gifts and Creatures play with Michigan folk band Breathe Owl Breathe on January 14th. Derek Berggren/The State News
Keyboardist and vocalist Bethany Foote, guitarist and vocalist Brandon Foote, and percussionist Ty Forquer of Gifts and Creatures practice for their upcoming show. Gifts and Creatures play with Michigan folk band Breathe Owl Breathe on January 14th. Derek Berggren/The State News —
Photo by Derek Berggren | and Derek Berggren The State News

For Trevor Hobbs, music is more than beats and notes.

The percussionist for the Michigan folk act Breathe Owl Breathe said he and his bandmates try to tell stories with their music.

“We like to try to strike a lot of different moods and feelings throughout a set,” he said. “We have songs that may take you to a place that’s dark and then songs that are really fun. … We try to hold them and draw them into the story.”

The artist and fellow group members will share their tales with fans at 8 p.m. Saturday in the RCAH Theatre in Snyder and Phillips halls along with Lansing-based folk group Gifts or Creatures.

The two bands, whose members are longtime friends, have not played together since 2009 and are looking forward to the reunion.

“(Hobbs and I are) old pals and the whole band (is made up of) old friends,” Brandon Foote of Gifts or Creatures said. “This will be a fun evening for all of us to get together.”

MSU alumna Autumn Maison, who has attended countless Gifts or Creatures and Breathe Owl Breathe shows, said she expects the combination of both bands’ unique folk sound in one show to make for a night like none other.

Breathe Owl Breathe, which is a three-member group that formed in 2004, takes inspiration from classic Indian music as well as Brazilian music. Hobbs said members also are influenced by indie bands such as The Dirty Projectors.

“(Breathe Owl Breathe) covers pretty much everything,” Foote said. “They’re a pretty fun-loving group. Kids love them that are 6 years old all the way up to seniors. They’re really creative juices.”

Foote and his wife Bethany Foote paired up to create the local band Gifts or Creatures, which produces antique Americana music.

“I think that (the members of Gifts or Creatures) have a lot of appeal in terms of the vintage folk Americana sound,” Maison said. “I find that really interesting.”

In addition to reuniting with friends, Hobbs also will be reunited with MSU’s campus, where he spent much time as a student and has not revisited in many years. The artist said he is looking forward to returning to perform.

“I have that close tie to the campus and to the scene that’s going on there,” Hobbs said. “I’m excited just to check in with everyone (and) … see if there’s any fans that I had met years ago that are still around.”

Foote said he is excited to perform for the Spartans at Saturday’s show because, as college students, they are at a point in their lives in which they can truly appreciate his band’s music and music in general.

“I think college kids are the kind of people who have a lot of passion for music and the arts,” he said. “That’s … an area of your life where you can really be creative, and I think having that kind of creativity is a really important thing.”

Maison, who plans to attend Saturday’s event, said other attendees should expect more than just a folk music show.

Audience members should be prepared to connect with Breathe Owl Breathe through their storytelling and spoken word moments that often take place between their songs.

“They’re not just playing their music, they’re creating an experience for you (and) making it exciting,” she said. “It’s not just you watching them — you feel like you’re part of a community.”

Share and discuss “Folk band to play show, tell stories with songs” on social media.