Real christmas trees beneficial

<p>Hokans</p>

Hokans

This time of year, living rooms everywhere are marked by large evergreen trees, yet most people don’t really know why. The Christmas tree has a long and controversial history — controversy which today centers mostly on the notorious decision between real or artificial trees.

Sure, fake trees have their advantages, but real trees are a deeply rooted part of our society. In the words of that great holiday sage Chevy Chase, “This is what our forefathers did … They walked out into the woods, they picked out that special tree, and they cut it down with their bare hands.” Beyond tradition, though, there are many reasons real trees will always triumph over their plastic counterparts.

However, before I can convince you to go out into the woods with an axe, I think knowing why you’re doing so will make the experience all the more enjoyable.

Thousands of years ago, Romans and Druids decorated their homes and temples with evergreen boughs as a symbol of vitality during the deadness of winter. Most agree that the modern Christmas tree originated in northern Europe during the 16th century. The tree’s triangular shape was thought to symbolize the Holy Trinity. The fad was confined to this region for centuries though.

In fact, early New England settlers imposed strict laws against festivities or decorations, such as Christmas trees, around Dec. 25. Yes, American colonists stole Christmas way before the Grinch did.

The mid-19th century saw a great rise in the Christmas tree’s popularity, and today they are almost ubiquitous in American and European homes during the holidays. The Christmas tree market is now a billion dollar industry with only about a third of Americans still choosing real trees. The dominance of fake trees is nothing new either. As far back as 1965, Linus said to Charlie Brown, “Gee, do they still make wooden Christmas trees?”

Artificial trees do have their advantages. Their multiple Christmas life spans makes them more cost-effective and if kept for 10 to 20 years, depending on the study, they might have a smaller environmental impact. However, fake trees are distasteful for numerous reasons beyond the fact that a toilet brush company
invented them.

From production to landfill, artificial trees leave a trail of negative externalities in their wake. Producing fake trees is carbon intensive and involves a type of plastic that is non-recyclable and linked to widespread cancer in Asian industrial towns. Furthermore, many fake trees contain enough lead for California to force them to carry a warning label. On top of this, fake trees are, oddly enough, much more flammable than their wooden brethren.

Admittedly, some of these arguments seem like scare tactics, but it still seems strange that, as attached to tradition as people are, fake trees dominate this market when a much better alternative is readily available.

Christmas tree farms employ more than 100,000 people each year using otherwise idle land. These businesses are some of the most sustainable out there as their product actually absorbs carbon and is replaced after being harvested by new, natural carbon sequesters.

For those interested in buying local, there are more than 30 Christmas tree sellers competing for your business in the Lansing area alone. In the end though, I really prefer real Christmas trees for the same reason Chevy Chase did — the experience and memories made with friends or family by going out into the woods, cutting it down, and then lashing it to your car and driving it home to decorate.

So for anyone concerned with their community, environment or holiday memories, a real Christmas tree is the way to go. And even if you’re a student, you can get in on in this holiday tradition. I’m planning on getting a little fir for my apartment to compliment the tinsel duct taped to my ceiling. Also, after the holidays I’m planning on bringing my tree to one of East Lansing’s many Christmas tree recycling locations so my holiday cheer can live on as garden mulch.

Christian Hokans is a State News guest columnist and political theory and constitutional democracy junior. Reach him at hokansch@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Real christmas trees beneficial” on social media.