MSU shuts down Big Ten's leading rusher in win

Senior safety Trenton Robinson, left, and junior cornerback Johnny Adams wrap up Iowa running back Marcus Coker Saturday at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City, Iowa. The Spartans defeated the Hawkeyes 37-21. Matt Radick/The State News
Senior safety Trenton Robinson, left, and junior cornerback Johnny Adams wrap up Iowa running back Marcus Coker Saturday at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City, Iowa. The Spartans defeated the Hawkeyes 37-21. Matt Radick/The State News —
Photo by Matt Radick | and Matt Radick The State News

Stopping the Iowa rushing attack was the focus of the No. 12 MSU football team’s defense heading into Saturday’s game.

Running back Marcus Coker has been unstoppable for the Hawkeyes this season. He entered the game leading the Big Ten in rushing yards (1,098) and had the second most rushing touchdowns for a tailback.

So for the Spartans to defeat the Hawkeyes — who were unbeaten at home — limiting Coker’s impact was a must. Led by the penetration from the defensive line, the sophomore back was held to 57 yards — his second lowest total of the season.

“When we play our defense and play our brand of ball, we can’t be stopped up front,” junior tackle Jerel Worthy said.

In his previous for games, Coker had found the end zone twice. That four-game streak came to an end against MSU, which allowed the Beltsville, Md., native only one 2-yard score.

For the Spartans, establishing their own ground game was also crucial to redeeming themselves from an embarrassing 37-6 loss last season, where they were limited to a combined31 rushing yards.

Sophomore Le’Veon Bell and junior Edwin Baker led the way.

Bell, who started for the third straight game over Baker, carried the ball 20 times for 112 yards and a touchdown. Baker had 13 carries for 51 yards and a receiving touchdown.

“We were able to run the football real effectively,” MSU head coach Mark Dantonio said. “I thought (Bell and Baker) ran with a mission.”

Injures
The Spartans had an unusual number of injuries in Saturday’s 37-21 win. Several players went down multiple times and the stoppages in play caused booing from the Kinnick Stadium crowd.

Junior defensive tackle Jerel Worthy, who hit the turf three times with varying injuries, said the injuries were legitimate, but he understood the the booing.

“I think everybody noticed the booing,” said Worthy, laughing it off. “Iowa fans don’t like it. They’re a rowdy crowd, but you got to have fun with it… that just adds fuel to the fire.”

Dantonio said only sophomore cornerback Darqueze Dennard was seriously hurt. He was removed from the game in the first half and unable to return. His status for next week is uncertain.

Two to go
The Spartans can clinch the Legends Division and a spot in the inaugural Big Ten Championship game this weekend, however they’ll need some help from Michigan.

With a win, MSU would move to 6-1 in the conference with one game left on the schedule. If Michigan takes down Nebraska, the Huskers would be knocked out of contention

The Spartans then hold the tiebreaker over the Wolverines, so even if they fall to Northwestern in the season finale, MSU would earn the trip to Indianapolis, Ind.

Senior safety Trenton Robinson said he doesn’t want to depend on Michigan.

“We have to win,” Robinson said. “We don’t want to be down in Florida at the Capital One Bowl again. It’s a must-win game every game.”

Share and discuss “MSU shuts down Big Ten's leading rusher in win” on social media.