Chinese acrobats make US debut

Photograph courtesy of Wharton Center.
Photograph courtesy of Wharton Center. —
Photo by Photograph courtesy of Wharton Center | The State News

Combining acrobatics, contortionism and other stunts into one original show, the National Acrobats of the People’s Republic of China will take the stage at Wharton Center on Thursday.

The group, which is the first national performing arts troupe created by the Chinese government, will perform in East Lansing as a part of its inaugural U.S. tour.

“Whenever I see shows like this, I’m always on the edge of my seat,” Wharton Center’s Public Relations Manager Bob Hoffman said. “I’m always amazed by the amazing feats they can do.”
The performance will begin at 7:30 p.m. in Wharton Center’s Cobb Great Hall.

The Beijing-based company is funded by a grant from the Beijing Municipality and owns a large institution for acrobatic training, which consists of more than 150 resident performers and 500 students.

The company, which has become one of the largest acrobatic and circus arts centers in the world, has toured in countries around the globe, but never in the U.S. — until now.

Hoffman said the troupe has received sensational reviews both at home and abroad, and he expects the show to be a visually stunning one, full of unique tricks and entertainment, colorful costumes, lights and culture.

Troupe members perform various unique and physically demanding stunts, such as spinning and balancing plates, tumbling through hoops and juggling unusual items, such as umbrellas.

“Gymnasts and acrobats make things look easy,” Gymnastics Head Coach Kathie Klages said.
“They do (stunts) with such ease and grace.”

Prior to the show, Klages will lead a free half hour preview lecture, which will take place in Wharton Center’s Stoddard Grand Tier Lounge.

During the lecture, which is meant to give attendees a better understanding of what acrobats do, Klages said she plans to discuss topics such as the amount of strength and flexibility acrobats need to perform well and the time commitment involved with this profession.

As a member of the MSU Dance Club, family community services junior Carson Hamel is no stranger to stunts that require flexibility and grace.

But she said she dances mostly for fun and to relieve stress, and the work she does is nothing compared to what she imagines professional acrobats have to do.

“I would assume that (the acrobat’s stunts) would be a lot more strenuous on their body,” she said. “(MSU Dance Club members) are flexible as it is, but you would have to be so much more flexible to do (what they do).”

Klages said she plans to make comparisons between Olympic, collegiate and recreational athletes to make people aware of the differences and similarities.

Although she is not familiar with all the training techniques for acrobatic performers in China, Klages said her experience as a head coach for the gymnastics team should enable her to provide attendees with valuable information and insight before the show.

“I definitely have an idea of what it takes to become good enough to become a Division I athlete,” she said.

Following her presentation, Klages said she plans to attend the show.

“I’m looking forward to some entertainment for an evening,” she said. “(The performers) do spectacular types of things with their bodies, (and) it’s incredible what they are able to do.”

Share and discuss “Chinese acrobats make US debut” on social media.