Softball falls to Wolverines in game one of weekend series

In the first game of its home-and-home series against No. 2 Michigan, the MSU softball team lost, 8-0, in six innings in Ann Arbor at Wilpon Complex.

Junior Lauren Kramer pitched for the Spartans (27-26 overall, 6-13 Big Ten), and the loss puts her at 8-6 for the season. Pitcher Jordan Taylor — who MSU head coach Jacquie Joseph has named one of the best pitchers in the nation — was on the mound for the Wolverines (50-4, 17-2).

U-M jumped to an early lead against the Spartans in the first inning when third baseman Amanda Chidester’s single to left field drove home two Wolverine runners.

After a scoreless second inning, Kramer walked U-M’s second baseman Ashley Lane with the bases loaded in the third, allowing outfielder Lyndsay Doyle to score. Despite MSU replacing Kramer with sophomore pitcher Shelby Wise, U-M’s catcher Caitlin Blanchard then singled to left field, batting in two more runs for her team.

Keeping the Spartans off the board, the Wolverines secured their win in the bottom of the sixth when first basemen Dorian Shaw hit a two-run homer.

Taylor posted 13 strikeouts against MSU, but the Spartans will have a chance for revenge at home on Saturday in East Lansing. The teams will play at 1 p.m. after the dedication of Secchia Stadium.

Share and discuss “Softball falls to Wolverines in game one of weekend series” on social media.