Fundraiser for 2-year-old cancer patient to be held at The Peoples Church

<p>John Waller, a Lyman Briggs associate professor, left, looks at toys with his son, Charlie, 2, Thursday at The People&#8217;s Church, 200 W. Grand River. Toys and other items currently are  being collected at the church for a rummage sale to be held Saturday benefiting Charlie, who was diagnosed with a rare form of brain cancer in April.</p>

John Waller, a Lyman Briggs associate professor, left, looks at toys with his son, Charlie, 2, Thursday at The People’s Church, 200 W. Grand River. Toys and other items currently are being collected at the church for a rummage sale to be held Saturday benefiting Charlie, who was diagnosed with a rare form of brain cancer in April.

Photo by Matt Radick | The State News

A rummage sale fundraiser for an East Lansing 2-year-old boy with brain cancer will be held from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday in The Peoples Church, 200 W. Grand River Ave.

Charlie Waller, who was diagnosed on April 1 with Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma, or DIPG, — an inoperable and fast-growing brain tumor — is the son of two MSU employees: Lyman Briggs associate professor John Waller and Abigail Waller, field liaison and partnership coordinator in the School of Social Work.

With radiation and other treatment, Charlie might have months or a few years to live, his parents said.

Donations of books, clothing, children’s toys and other items still are being accepted. Donations can be delivered to The Peoples Church from 3-9 p.m. Thursday and Friday.

Money raised from the sale partially will be used to fund medical costs and vacations for Charlie. Money also will be donated to the Children’s Cancer Recovery Foundation and Brandon’s Defense Foundation, a non-profit organization that supports Michigan children with cancer.

Continue reading The State News for updates on Charlie’s experience with cancer. For more information and ways to help the Waller family, visit http://friendsofcharlie.com.

Share and discuss “Fundraiser for 2-year-old cancer patient to be held at The Peoples Church” on social media.