Helping the community

Nutritional sciences students, from left, sophomore Ashley McNamara, junior Liz Ostergaard and junior Dan Bator prepare a salad as part of the meal they make for residents of the Ronald McDonald House, 121 S. Holmes St., on Thursday in Lansing. The students are all members of the Nutritional Sciences Club, which volunteers by regularly cooking meals for the families staying at the house. The Ronald McDonald House provides temporary and affordable housing for families with a child or loved one receiving treatment at Sparrow Hospital. Kat Petersen/The State News
Nutritional sciences students, from left, sophomore Ashley McNamara, junior Liz Ostergaard and junior Dan Bator prepare a salad as part of the meal they make for residents of the Ronald McDonald House, 121 S. Holmes St., on Thursday in Lansing. The students are all members of the Nutritional Sciences Club, which volunteers by regularly cooking meals for the families staying at the house. The Ronald McDonald House provides temporary and affordable housing for families with a child or loved one receiving treatment at Sparrow Hospital. Kat Petersen/The State News —
Photo by Kat Petersen | and Kat Petersen The State News

Nutritional sciences junior Dan Bator was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 12 years ago, and although his medical history was not the sole reason for choosing his major — he said it was a “little push” toward studying nutrition.

“My priorities nowadays are less on the science side of things and more on the social side of things,” Bator said.  

His new focus is on community nutrition, an interest that has developed since joining the Nutritional Sciences Club. Members of the club regularly volunteer in the community, and one way they give back is by cooking dinner for residents at the Ronald McDonald House of Mid-Michigan, 121 S. Holmes St., in Lansing. 

The Ronald McDonald House sits across the street from Sparrow Hospital and serves as a temporary and affordable place for people to stay when they have a family member receiving treatment at the hospital. Through the “Family Dinner Night Program,” different groups volunteer to cook dinner for the residents. 

The Nutritional Sciences Club cooks dinner at the house about twice a month, Bator said, which gives members of the club an opportunity to get to know each other and at the same time help the community.

Share and discuss “Helping the community” on social media.