Junior guard faces charges after arrest

Junior guard Korie Lucious was arrested early Monday morning for allegedly operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated, or OWI, according to records from East Lansing’s 54-B District Court.

Lucious had a blood alcohol content of 0.09 when he was arrested at about 2:20 a.m. Monday near Charles and Linden streets. The legal limit is 0.08. Lucious still is a minor and will not turn 21 until Nov. 5.

Lucious was released from jail later Monday on a $200 bond.

“We’re aware a ticket was issued and we’re still gathering information,” men’s basketball head coach Tom Izzo said in a statement.

No further comment was released.

The misdemeanor charge carries a maximum sentence of 93 days in jail, $500 in fines, 360 hours of community service, six points on the driver’s license, 180 days suspension of the license and court costs, said Dave Meyer, East Lansing assistant city attorney.

Beyond charges brought against an individual with an OWI in district court, the state charges a driver’s responsibility fee of $1,000 for two years. The judge also has the choice to add additional requirements, such as probation or alcohol safety classes, Meyer said.

“It would be up to the judge,” Meyer said. “Normally the requirement is an alcohol safety class as well as the defendant would have to attend Mothers Against Drunk Driving victim impact panel. That’s the usual, the judge has the option to do less or more.”

Lucious, a Milwaukee native, averaged 5.6 points and 3.2 assists in 36 games last season. When then-junior guard Kalin Lucas went down with a ruptured Achilles’ tendon in the NCAA Tournament, then-sophomore Lucious filled in as point guard and led the team to the Final Four.

Share and discuss “Junior guard faces charges after arrest” on social media.