All football players reach plea bargains

Three more MSU football players pleaded guilty Thursday to charges at East Lansing’s 54-B District Court stemming from a November 2009 fight.

Redshirt freshman wide receiver Myles White and junior cornerback Chris L. Rucker each pleaded guilty to one count of assault and battery. Junior defensive tackle Oren Wilson pleaded guilty to two counts of assault and battery. Single counts of conspiracy to commit assault and battery against each player were dropped.

All three face up to 93 days in jail and/or a $500 fine for each charge.

The charges stem from a Nov. 22, 2009 fight in Rather Hall where 15 MSU football players allegedly attacked members of the Iota Phi Theta fraternity. The football players allegedly came to Rather Hall looking for a particular member of Iota Phi Theta. The fraternity was holding a potluck dinner when a fight ensued.

The eight other current or former players charged in connection with the fight all have reached plea agreements and are awaiting sentencing.

In court, Rucker said he kicked someone and missed, but kicked with the intent to harm the person.

“I was trying to separate him and one of my teammates that were on the ground wrestling one another,” Rucker said.

His lawyer, Leon Weiss, said Rucker is taking responsibility for his actions, but Rucker was not one of the players most involved in the altercation.

“This is a young man with no prior record from a very good family,” Weiss said. “Although he admitted to some conduct, the record is clear, all of the video evidence shows that all of the three minute exchange that this episode took to complete … (Rucker) was in the room for about 6.5 seconds.”

Wilson said he kicked and punched two individuals whom he did not know. His lawyer, Andrew Abood, said Wilson is remorseful about the situation and will continue to participate in the MSU football program.

“He is enrolled at Michigan State, he loves being at Michigan State (and) he is a great student and a great athlete,” Abood said. “I think he’s got a tremendous amount of character, and I don’t think that this 16 seconds is indicative of the type of person that he is.”

Both Wilson and Rucker will receive a deferred sentence, which can allow for the case to be dismissed on the authority of the judge. It is unclear whether White will receive any sort of deferred sentencing.

Rucker is scheduled for sentencing March 19, White is scheduled for sentencing on March 22 and Wilson is scheduled for sentencing March 31.

Share and discuss “All football players reach plea bargains” on social media.