Web tool aims to ease college course planning

Students planning for the future now can use an online tool that might make their lives a little easier.

The MyEdu Corporation launched its Web site, myedu.com, in July 2009 hoping to make degree and schedule planning easier. Now the corporation has placed interns on MSU’s campus to get better acquainted with the students and faculty.

“We’re still in the process of informing and educating people about the new capabilities (of MyEdu),” MyEdu Chief Marketing Officer Cheri Bergeron said. “That’s why we wanted to have people locally, so we can give (college campuses) a perspective of what we’re doing.”

The Web site, which was formerly known as Pick-A-Prof, compiles information directly from the university to aid students in planning future courses, determining credits for graduation and comparing credits to other degrees, Bergeron said.

Communications junior Jason Kemp, an intern for MyEdu on MSU’s campus, said he became interested in the corporation after he heard about the service through MSU’s Career Services Network.

“I’m always pretty organized and that is initially why I was pretty drawn to it,” Kemp said. “If I can know exactly what (classes) I still have to take, what I don’t have to take and how long it will take me to do it. It’s something that’s a lot more useful for me than to go to an adviser and talk about hypothetical classes I have to take.”

MyEdu spokeswoman Tami Casey said her son, a junior in high school, has used the Web site to compare different colleges he is interested in after graduation. She said the multifaceted interface of the site makes it easy to compare different schools with the degree programs in which her son is interested.

“They landscape for what you’re looking at,” Casey said. “Of course, the college Web sites are great, but when you’re just trying to compare schools, there are just so many things you have to look at.”

A downside to the service is the membership fee, Kemp said. The two membership plans available cost either $10 or $20 for a year of service. However, Kemp said the time and energy students can save pays for itself.

“It’s obviously a good investment if you can save money in the long run,” he said. “If you find out that you don’t have to take a class, it can save you up to $900 in tuition dollars.”

No-preference freshman Megan Polfus said although the program seemed interesting, traditional means of schedule planning are more effective.

“I don’t think it would be a good replacement for a real adviser,” she said.

Staff writer Lauren McKown contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Web tool aims to ease college course planning” on social media.