Web exclusive: City Council discusses fire department fundraiser

East Lansing City Council discussed allowing city firefighters to continue the tradition of participating in the Fill the Boot campaign to raise money for muscular dystrophy during the council’s meeting Tuesday night at City Hall, 410 Abbot Road.

This year, the fire department did not submit an application to council to participate in the event. Mayor Vic Loomis said the department did not seek approval because the council had expressed concern in the past about safety.

The Fill the Boot campaign requires members of the fire department stand in an intersection while traffic is stopped at a red light and ask for donations from drivers. It is part of a national campaign, and Loomis estimated the proceeds go to about 13 families in the area.

Loomis received a letter from a member of the fire department asking the council to reconsider authorizing the department to hold the event this year.

Councilmember Kevin Beard said many residents in the past have expressed concern for the participants’ safety.

“I have personally, every year that they have done it, received a couple letters of complaint essentially that say it’s unsafe to be out there,” Beard said.

Beard acknowledged the program was beneficial, but was concerned for the safety of firefighters participating and drivers stopped at the intersection who might be distracted by the firefighters.

Despite the dangers, Loomis said he believed firefighters were conscious of the concerns, and things ran smoothly every previous year.

Councilmember Nathan Triplett said he was in total support of allowing the fire department to do the event again and despite some concerns of the council, the practice was safe.

“It’s not that they’re going into the street and physically stopping traffic,” Triplett said. “I personally think this is an excellent event and I have no objections to do it again.”

Members of council also offered advice to how firefighters can continue to keep the event safe. Councilmember Roger Peters suggested publicizing the event beforehand so drivers know what to expect at certain intersections.

“I would be supportive of letting them do that,” Peters said. “I’m sure they’re mindful of the safety concerns of drivers.”

Share and discuss “Web exclusive: City Council discusses fire department fundraiser” on social media.