E.L. Amtrak station might get renovation in 2010

An East Lansing transportation hub could get a makeover in 2010 if selected to receive $20 million in stimulus funding.

The Amtrak station, located at 1240 S. Harrison Road, is the target for a major renovation plan by the city of East Lansing.

East Lansing City Council voted Sept. 15 to allow the city to apply for a grant through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, or ARRA. The federal grant, named Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery, or TIGER, is aimed at surface transportation infrastructure.

Along with the city, MSU and the Capital Area Transportation Authority are working to help with the improvements for the station.

“We have been looking for a means to improve and expand the Amtrak station for quite a while,” said Lori Mullins, East Lansing’s community and economic development administrator.

“The topic was recently brought back to the forefront because we are working on a master plan for improvements to the Trowbridge Road area with a committee made up of university and community representatives,” she said.

This comes on the heels of a proposal for a high-speed rail in Michigan coming from stimulus funds. Economics professor Ken Boyer said there recently has been a national push for rail services.

However, Boyer said because of the national spotlight on public transportation, it could be difficult for East Lansing to acquire the funds.

“Every locality in the nation is trying to get their hands on this money,” Boyer said.

The city of East Lansing submitted its application and will know by February 2010 if it will receive the funds. If the city is selected, the station will begin construction within five months.

The redevelopment would include a new station, a parking structure and space for future office development at the site. The project would cost about $18.5 million.

The transportation hub is a good place for students who are within walking distance of it from the university, Boyer said.

Biochemistry and molecular biology junior Maria Simcina said the current station could use an upgrade.

“I have been to Toronto and Chicago twice from the station and it definitely is not the nicest place to sit around and wait for a train,” she said.

Share and discuss “E.L. Amtrak station might get renovation in 2010” on social media.