Softball sweeps Ohio State, baseball team splits series

The MSU softball team swept a two-game set against No. 24 Ohio State this weekend to improve to 19-15 overall and 4-2 in Big Ten play.

Senior third baseman Caitlin Mahoney led the Spartans to a 5-3 win Saturday, hitting two home runs and driving in all five MSU runs. The win, the Spartans’ fifth in a row, marked the 600th of head coach Jacquie Joseph’s career.

Senior center fielder Nikki Nicosia added two hits for MSU, while junior second baseman Gina Mondo and senior designated player Jessica LeFevre each had one.

Senior Lesley Noel picked up the win for the Spartans to improve to 11-9 on the year.

Baseball

The MSU baseball team split a four-game Big Ten series with Northwestern this weekend to move its record to 11-14 overall and 3-5 in the Big Ten.

Junior catcher Kyle Day helped the Spartans get the weekend off on the right foot, going 2-for-4 with a grand slam and seven RBIs in a 12-6 win over the Wildcats Friday.

The two teams split a doubleheader on Saturday as the Spartans won the first game 6-1 but dropped the nightcap 3-2.

In Sunday’s finale, the Wildcats scored the game-winning run in the bottom of the ninth when Jake Owens doubled home Tommy Finn for a 5-4 result.

Track and field

The MSU women’s track and field team finished in first place at the Colonial Relays at William and Mary on Saturday, while the men’s team finished in second to William and Mary.

The women’s team finished with 124 points, 12 ahead of second-place Seton Hall.

The MSU track teams host their only home meet of the outdoor season at 9 a.m. Saturday at Ralph Young Field.

Share and discuss “Softball sweeps Ohio State, baseball team splits series” on social media.