Spartans lose Big Ten opener to Minnesota, 74-63

Senior guard, Courtney Davidson, attempts to weave through the Gopher’s
defense while trying to complete a layup during the first half of the game against Minnesota. Sam Ruiz/The State News

Photo by Sam Ruiz | The State News

After winning its last five Big Ten openers, the No. 23 MSU women’s basketball team dropped this season’s Big Ten opener to Minnesota 74-63, Saturday.

This marks the first time the Gophers have won at the Breslin Center since 2002.

“When you are (playing) at home you really need to step things up and I think it’s been a struggle the last few days,” MSU head coach Suzy Merchant said. “Actually before the break we haven’t had very good practices or very good energy at practice and I think it carried over into the game and we have to find a way to get the players motivated, especially the rebounding piece.”

The Spartans had 30 rebounds Saturday, seven of which were offensive.

Merchant said they’ve tried many things to improve rebounding, including the continuous use of plastic bubbles over the nets during practice to force different rebound situations.

“It’s frustrating, it really is. We practice rebounding and it’s just not getting through and that’s our job as coaches to get it through,” Merchant said. “Believe me, we’re doing everything we can. We look at film, we do drills, we put bubbles on the baskets, we have consequences, it’s not like we just talk about it.

“It comes down to the players making an effort.”

The Gopher defense did the best job thus far at controlling sophomore center Allyssa DeHaan, keeping her at four shots for the game. DeHaan collected six points and five blocks.

Back in action just in time for the Big Ten season is junior guard Mia Johnson, who is coming off of a torn ACL from the summer.

“It’s hard to take all that time off and come back, it’s going to feel different. I’m a little rusty, but you just want to get out there and contribute,” Johnson said. “It’s hard, I’d say I’m probably around 80 percent right now.”

Along with their rebounding troubles, the Spartans are still having trouble controlling turnovers, committing 20, of which the Gophers collected 21 points off of.

The freshman duo, forward Kalisha Keane and guard Brittney Thomas, lead the Spartans in scoring with 18 and 14 points, respectively.

The Spartans play No. 17 Ohio State Sunday at noon in hopes to even up their Big Ten record.

“We’re going to really have to come with some passion and toughness for that game,” Merchant said. “I honestly think that’s what’s missing. It’s not what we’re doing, it’s how we’re doing it. A game plan can only take you so far.”

Share and discuss “Spartans lose Big Ten opener to Minnesota, 74-63” on social media.