Faulty cable leaves 2,300 without power

CORRECTION: Should have said a faulty underground cable knocked out power in parts of East Lansing and closed down the intersection of Albert Avenue and Charles Street for an hour on Wednesday.

A faulty underground cable knocked out power in parts of East Lansing and closed down the intersection of Albert Avenue and Charles Street for an hour today.

Lansing Board of Water and Light spokesperson Mark Nixon said 2,300 customers in East Lansing were left in the dark following an underground explosion at the intersection. He expected all customers to be back online by 10:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Accounting sophomore Ricky Shounia was walking past the Albert Avenue and Charles Street intersection at about 7:15 p.m. when an underground explosion sent him to the ground.

“The sewer (cap) came off of the ground about three feet and it kind of stunned me for a little bit,” Shounia said.

“All of this bright yellow smoke came out and I didn’t know what it was.”

East Lansing experienced an outage in May that left about 4,000 customers without power as a result of another faulty underground cable.

“You have to understand that there are hundreds and hundreds of miles of cables above and underground,” Nixon said. “Anything that’s man-made, they do wear out after a while.”

Share and discuss “Faulty cable leaves 2,300 without power” on social media.