Ford Motor Co. implements new Sync technology

Before pulling the 2008 Ford Focus into the Harrison Roadhouse, 720 Michigan Ave., driveway, marketing junior Brandon Herring called and texted friends — without picking up his phone.

By pressing a button on the steering wheel of Ford Motor Co. vehicles equipped with Sync technology, a voice activated communication and entertainment system, drivers can call and text from most bluetooth-enabled phone or choose songs from a MP3 player while keeping both hands on the steering wheel.

“You can plug your iPod or any MP3 player right into it through an open audio port and you can control it through voice recognition instead of scrolling through your iPod or MP3 player to find a song,” said Herring, a brand ambassador for Ford at MSU. “It makes things a little more seamless.”

Developed in association with Microsoft, Ford’s Sync technology debuted in the 2008 Ford Focus this year and will be available in most Ford, Lincoln and Mercury models by next year, Herring said.

The Sync technology allows drivers to pay more attention to the road and spend less time shuffling through songs on their MP3 players, said communication senior Suzanne Vermeulen, a brand ambassador for Ford at MSU.

“A lot of people are spending more time talking on their cell phones, trying to choose songs on their iPods or send text messages, which is obviously not a very safe way to drive,” Vermeulen said.

“This (technology) totally eliminates that problem. Everyone’s main goal (while driving) is to multi-task. They think they won’t get in an accident, but you really can’t control that and this really takes a lot of risk out of it,” Vermeulen said.

By installing the technology in a vehicle, Vermeulen said the automobile company can reach a younger generation of drivers — college students.

“(The Focus) is one of their less expensive cars, so it’s really available to college students, (who) are generally the early adopters of new technology,” Vermeulen said.

The technology is ideal for students on the road who tend to multitask while driving, Vermeulen said.

“Students are going to like it because it makes everything they already do in the car a lot easier and parents will like it because it makes students a lot safer on the road,” said Vermeulen. “I think (Ford) really hit the nail right on the head with the Sync technology and they really understand what young adults want in a car.”

Other major automobile companies have developed their own technological devices to rival the Ford Sync technology. Chrsyler’s MyGiG multimedia system is a 20-gigabyte hard drive built into a vehicle’s dashboard with a USB port. The system features a touchscreen and can be controlled through voice recognition, while also allowing the driver full control over rear-seat entertainment.

“It’s becoming evident to us as a company that people spend more time in their vehicles and we need to find a way to integrate (new technology into the vehicle),” said Nick Cappa, manager of advanced technology communications at Chrysler LCC.

“A lot of time, entry-level buyers are much more into new technology than the middle-aged buyer.”

For international relations and advertising freshman Kristian Wesslen, the new technology isn’t what attracts him to the Ford Focus.

“I’m a Focus fanatic. It just seems to keep getting better and better,” Wesslen said. “I don’t think I’ll use (the Sync technology) though. I’m more about the engine and performance and not as much entertainment.”

Share and discuss “Ford Motor Co. implements new Sync technology” on social media.