Lugnuts squander early lead

Lansing — The Lansing Lugnuts' lineup was no match for a strong pitching staff Tuesday.

South Bend Silverhawks starter Brett Anderson kept the Lansing offense quiet, leading his team to a 5-3 victory.

Anderson did not allow a base runner through three innings but was the first to allow a run. Lansing second baseman Chris Gutierrez scored on a single to left field by right fielder Travis Snider in the bottom of the fourth inning, giving the Lugnuts a 1-0 lead.

"The shortstop was playing over toward second base, and I got a pitch that I was able to go the other way with," Snider said.

But the lead didn't last. South Bend responded with a run in the top of the next two innings, after finally finding a chink in Lansing pitcher Graham Godfrey's armor.

In the top of the fifth, Silverhawks designated hitter Richard Mercado grounded into a fielder's choice, scoring third baseman Sean McFeely. In the sixth, Godfrey got out of a bases-loaded jam, but not before right fielder Gerardo Parra doubled home Daniel Perales to take a 2-1 lead.

Godfrey was removed from the game after six innings, giving up six hits and one earned run, while striking out six. Lansing manager Gary Cathcart was impressed with Godfrey's demeanor on the mound with runners on base.

"I think he did great," Cathcart said. "Two times he got in some trouble but he showed determination and got out of them."

South Bend scored another two runs in the top of the eighth inning and Lansing nearly responded in the bottom half. Snider came within a few feet of tying the game at four with a hard-hit ball to deep center field. The ball caromed off the wall and scored two runs, leaving Snider at second with a double.

"It was a full count and I was sitting on a fastball, and luckily I guessed right," Snider said. "If I had pulled it a little more it would have been a home run."

Third baseman Josh Bell was unable to drive in Snider, and South Bend relief pitcher Ramon Sanchez came in to record his fourth save of the season, ending the ball game.

Anderson finished the day with eight strikeouts over seven innings, giving up just one earned run and three hits.

"He did everything well today," Cathcart said of the opposing starter. "You don't see a 19-year-old kid throw all three of his pitches consistently, and as strikes, very often."

Godfrey's loss dropped him to 1-1 on the season. The Lugnuts drop to 18-17 with the loss. South Bend improves to 17-19.

The Lugnuts have an off day Wednesday before returning to action Thursday night on the road against the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers.

In the clubhouse early

Lugnuts first baseman Sean Shoffit was ejected by home plate umpire Scott Mahoney in the bottom of the seventh inning for arguing balls and strikes. After taking a border-line pitch for strike three, Shoffit voiced his displeasure with Mahoney while walking back to the dugout.

After being ejected, Shoffit confronted Mahoney and began to argue with the umpire before being restrained by members of the coaching staff. Cathcart declined to comment about the incident.

Share and discuss “Lugnuts squander early lead” on social media.