Baseball wins 3-of-4 against Indiana

Head coach David Grewe and the MSU baseball team took three of four games from Indiana and outscored the Hoosiers, 25-11, in a Big Ten-opening road trip this weekend.

The Spartans (11-9 overall, 3-1 Big Ten) dropped only the opener, in which they outhit the Hoosiers, 15-5, but managed only one run in a 2-1 defeat. Senior Craig Brookes allowed three base runners through eight innings, but took the loss after surrendering a run with one out in the ninth.

Brookes' performance was a precursor for strong pitching throughout the weekend. The Spartans won Saturday's first game, 6-2, behind a complete-game eight-hitter from junior Jon Kibler, and Sunday's 6-1 victory was fueled by senior John Dwan's seven scoreless innings.

The pitching wasn't as critical in Saturday's second game, as a seven-run first inning proved to be all the cushion MSU needed in a 12-6 win. Freshman left fielder Chris Roberts' three-run triple keyed that first-inning rally. Roberts drove in six runs in the series on 6-for-15 hitting, and junior second baseman Steve Gerstenberger went 9-for-17 with a home run.

The Spartans play the Lansing Lugnuts at 6:05 p.m. Tuesday in the first Crosstown Showdown. Tickets can be purchased at the Oldsmobile Park box office by calling (517) 485-4500 or going online to www.lansinglugnuts.com.

Share and discuss “Baseball wins 3-of-4 against Indiana” on social media.