WEB EXTRA: Student coalition submits demands for administration's Proposal 2 response

Students presented university administrators with a written list of demands Friday afternoon in response to Michigan's affirmative action ban.

In a letter sent to MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon's office students of the Coalition for Equal Opportunity said they would not comply with the state constitution and provided a list of five demands.

The students said MSU should join in legal actions against the ban with the University of Michigan and preserve funding for programs that could be affected. Other demands included the university taking a public stance against the ban, involving students in decisions about modifications to potentially affected programs, and for MSU to ensure funding for future racial-, ethnic- or gender-based programs.

Students said in the letter, if their demands are not met they will "interrupt the normal operations of the university," but did not describe what that could entail.

The demands were compiled after students held a series of community meetings on campus to discuss their concerns and response to the ban.

On Nov. 7, Michigan voters passed Proposal 2, which bans affirmative action and makes racial and gender-based preferences in admissions, hiring and contracting illegal.

University spokesman Terry Denbow said Friday evening that administrators had not seen the demands. He said officials plan to continue communicating with students about the issue.

"We want respectful communication and we want to share our values … of inclusion, diversity and accessibility," Denbow said.

Students are looking for the university to do more than assure them diversity is a core value, said history senior Francesco Aimone, who is a member of the coalition.

"Racism and sexism still exist and we have to fight them," Aimone said.

For more on this story, please see Monday's edition of The State News

Share and discuss “WEB EXTRA: Student coalition submits demands for administration's Proposal 2 response” on social media.