Mich. votes to ban affirmative action

Voters decided Tuesday to ban affirmative action in the state.

Proposal 2, or the Michigan Civil Rights Initiative, passed with 59 percent or 1,387,621 people voting "yes" and 41 percent or 978,598 people voting "no" for the initiative to take away preferential treatment to minority groups, such as those based on race, class, gender or ethnicity, in terms of college admissions and government hiring.

"We feel kind of disappointed at this point because we feel that we could have done better," said Ezequiel Garcia, co-chairman of Culturas de las Razas Unidas, or CRU. "We don't know what is going to happen after this law passes."

Before vote totals were in, student groups, such as the Coalition of Indian Undergraduate Students, or CIUS, and the Alliance of Lesbian, Bi, Gay, Transgender and Straight Ally Students, were happy with voter turnout at the polls and even more pleased with voters that came just because of Proposal 2.

The Multi-Racial Unity Living Experience, or MRULE, pushed for students to vote against Proposal 2.

"I'm really proud of all the efforts that people on college campuses in particular have put forth," said Tim Hillman, MRULE student leader. "The numbers are discouraging, but if you look at (the places that haven't come in yet), it looks like we and other organizations did a good job."

Hillman appeared at many events involving Proposal 2 on campus. He argued against Proposal 2 in Wonders Hall and led chants at the rock on Farm Lane.

"Had we not done what we've done, the numbers would not be coming back what we see today," he said. "We just look forward to what happens next, and by that, I mean we look forward to what we can make of this situation."

Student organizations, such as CRU, that are minority-based are looking to the government to ease the effects of Proposal 2.

"Hopefully, this won't harm the state by making the effects evident," Garcia said. "Hopefully, some politicians will find a way to make the proposal less effective in the state."

Before the final election results were in, Paulette Granberry Russell, director of the Office of Affirmative Action, Compliance and Monitoring, could not comment because the race was too close, she said.

Black Student Alliance also said it was too early to comment on the results.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Mich. votes to ban affirmative action” on social media.