College to receive donation

Institute gives $16M to MSU medical school

An eight-year partnership was secured Wednesday between the future Grand Rapids campus of the MSU medical school and the Van Andel Institute, which is pledging $16 million to the school.

The money will be used to conduct cancer, cardiovascular disease and neuroscience research, said Marsha Rappley, dean of the College of Human Medicine.

"The most important part is the partnership that we have with the institute and the commitment to work together long term," Rappley said. "The funds will primarily be used to invest in the research program ? to develop them in ways to make them successful."

The contribution is very generous and appreciated, she said.

"There will be activity in the lab and research done in the area of molecules," Rappley said. "We will be sharing scientists, space and working together on research programs and teaching together."

The contribution will be specifically used for the Grand Rapids campus, she said.

Teaming up with a school that performs medical research is a "natural fit," Steve Heacock, the institute's chief administrative officer, told The Associated Press Wednesday.

"To have them come and join us and be part of our community makes absolute sense," he said.

Fifty second-year medical students are expected to enroll in the Grand Rapids school by fall 2008. They would join 50 to 70 upper-level medical students already assigned to programs in the area.

The university expects 100 first-year students to enroll in Grand Rapids by the time a new, $70 million building opens in 2010.

MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon said she is excited about the partnership because it will help move research from the labs to the patients as rapidly and effectively as possible.

"There are already students in East Lansing working in labs at the Van Andel Institute in a research collaboration," Simon said. "The partnership will simply strengthen those connections."

The MSU Board of Trustees will vote to authorize planning for the college's new site during its Oct. 20 meeting, she said.

Michael Peacock, a first-year medical student in the College of Human Medicine, said the project will benefit all medical students.

"There is a lot to offer in Grand Rapids and lots of resources available that are not available here," he said.

The Van Andel Institute could become a huge resource in the future and help students study in various medical fields, Peacock said. He added that he is unsure if he will attend the new campus.

"My primary interest is emergency medicine, and Grand Rapids has some great programs that could help me with that," Peacock said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Fredricka Paul can be reached at paulfred@msu.edu. Justin Kroll can be reached at krolljus@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “College to receive donation” on social media.