Instead of buying presents, make your valentine a romantic mix CD

With all the flashy chocolate boxes, shiny Hallmark cards and extravagant flower bouquets, it's hard to know how to sincerely express admiration for your special love muffin.

So here's a playlist — easily turned into a lovely mixed CD — to show your valentine who you're dreaming of (and that you haven't just made a last-minute shopping trip to Meijer to show you care).

1. "All I Have To Do Is Dream," by the Everly Brothers

A great sing-along tune to start melting hearts between admirers. And there's nothing like looking into your cupcake's eyes caroling the phrase, "gee-whiz."

2. "Only in Dreams," by Weezer

Who doesn't have a soft spot for early Weezer songs?

3. "Sleepwalkin'," by Modest Mouse

The song is on the "Building Nothing Out of Something" album and could make a lumberjack get in touch with his emotions. It's soul food for affection.

4. "Harvest Moon," by Neil Young

When you hear Neil sing, "Just like children sleepin'/ We could dream this night away," you can't help feeling like everything is all right with the world.

5. "Dream Weaver," by Gary Wright

When Wayne Campbell asked Cassandra, "Will you still love me when I'm in my carbohydrate, sequined-jumpsuit, young-girls-in-white-cotton-panties, waking-up-in-a-pool-of-your-own-vomit, bloated-purple-dead-on-a-toilet phase?" she said she would. And when Wayne first saw Cassandra, Gary Wright's "Dream Weaver" played in his head. Party on, Wayne.

6. "Romance in Durango," by Bob Dylan and Jacques Levy

"At night I dream of bells in the village steeple." Could the imagery get any better?

7. "Sweet Dreams," by Patsy Cline

It has been said that if God spoke it to you it would sound like Johnny Cash, but if God is a woman it would sound like Patsy Cline. Her voice is heavenly.

8. "Imagine," by John Lennon

Why not join the most imaginative Beatle in dreaming for a better world?

9. "Lovesick Blues," by Hank Williams

Hank hits all the right notes in "such a beautiful dream."

10. "Dream On," by Aerosmith

This might be a good time to bring up the idea of going to the upcoming Aerosmith concert at Breslin Center with your lover.

11. "Nitemare Hippy Girl," by Beck

You can't help loving a girl who's "a whimsical, tragical beauty/ Uptight and a little bit snooty."

12. "California Dreaming," by The Mamas & The Papas

The cold weather has to let up soon. In the meantime, let this song heat your adoring heart.

13. "Talking In Your Sleep," by The Romantics

Yes, it's corny, but perfect for this mix. And who can help singing along — "You tell me that you love me/ And I know that I'm right/ 'Cause I hear it in the night" — the song is just too catchy.

Happy dreamy Valentine's Day!

Share and discuss “Instead of buying presents, make your valentine a romantic mix CD” on social media.