Greek comedy revived

2,000-year-old play about sex receives new interpretation on stage

Icarus Falling gives a Plautus comedy from 2,000 years ago new life in "Truculentus."

It's 1950s Las Vegas and a soldier, city boy, woodsman and cowboy vie for the affection of Phronesium, a manipulative harlot. She connives a plot to squeeze each of them for extravagant gifts until they run dry.

Icarus Falling opted to keep the original language in the script. The effect is the chuckle-worthy presentation of suggestive language colored with gestures, intonations and well-timed comedic cues.

"I think what I like most is how contemporary it is despite being 2,000 years old. We're sort of taken at how fearless some of the lines are," said director Jeff Croft.

Icarus Falling doesn't usually do comedies, he said.

"Most of our stuff tends to be pretty heavy. We decided to take a chance and challenge ourselves to doing comedy," Croft said.

The show begins with a prologue from a toga-robed narrator played by Allen Ross. He poses questions to audience members in the first scene and makes them feel as if they are part of the action.

"We've developed a style where we've incorporated the audience very much into our show," Croft said.

Ross is the utility player for the show — taking on a number of roles, including card dealer and gay hairdresser. The MSU journalism graduate is the newest addition to the Icarus Falling ensemble.

"The message is how crazy sex makes us," Ross said. "The men are throwing their money around and are very jealous and the women are very greedy."

The show really should be enjoyed simply for the entertainment value. The vivacious and over-the-top characters are funny because they're caricatures — vastly overdramatized.

Like most comedy, the play uses stereotypical characters. The women are avaricious and use sex to get what they want, the soldier is dumb and proud and there's a flamboyant hairdresser.

It's obvious that the company takes great pride in its performances. Icarus is contributing to the local theater scene using creativity and the group's passion for the craft.

Truculentus will be performed Feb. 17 and 18 at 8 p.m. at Creole Gallery, 1218 Turner St. in Lansing. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at the door. Call (517) 290-4375 for more information.

Share and discuss “Greek comedy revived” on social media.