1 hit wonder band produces decent 3rd album

Wheatus' new album won't change the world, but it will put some smiles on teenage faces.

The Long Island-based band is best known for the 2001 catchy hit "Teenage Dirtbag" and has stayed true to its poppy garage rock sound on "TooSoonMonsoon."

The new album is the band's third full length — "Suck Fony" was released in 2005, but that was just a reissue of the second album "Hand Over Your Loved Ones" with two new tracks.

The most striking aspect of the band always has been, and still is, the high-pitched voice of Brendan B. Brown, who also plays guitar. It was Brown who formed the group in 1998 with a little help from some family members: His brother Peter plays drums, and his sister Liz joined the group as a backup singer on the second album.

The Brown family is joined by Shannon Harris on keyboards, Matt McCabe on bass and Kathryn Froggatt also sings backup.

Together they sound like a cross between Ween and Ben Kweller. A lot of guitar buzz, quirky lyrics and building drum beats fashioning excitement on the 11 new tracks on "TooSoonMonsoon."

The album rocks a bunch of quirky songs staying true to the verse, chorus, verse poppy format.

Track three — "BMX Bandits" — rocks the hardest. The driving wall of guitar sound almost forces the listener's neck to begin moving in a head banging motion.

"No Happy Ending Tune" is the last track and is propelled by some strange guitar effects. A lot of reverb and some sort of wah-wah noises kick it behind the backup singers.

The album is just good fun and can be most suitably enjoyed while driving to the mall in a convertible.

Wheatus is coming to Lansing to play at Mac's Bar, 2700 E. Michigan Ave. in Lansing, tomorrow night. For more information, go to www.macsbar.com.

Share and discuss “1 hit wonder band produces decent 3rd album” on social media.