Stylish 'Flux' heavy on lush scenery

Charlize Theron stars in the sci-fi adventure flick "Aeon Flux." —

Four hundred years from now, human beings still resort to violence to solve their problems, but they polish off people wearing snazzy clothes.

Set in 2415, "Aeon Flux" is a highly stylized look at what happens when the remaining 1 percent of a population obliterated by industrial disease 404 years earlier resides in the utopian metropolis of Bregna.

But can a civilization really be perfect? Leading the charge of inquiry for the "perfect" society is Charlize Theron's ("The Cider House Rules," "Monster") title role. Theron plays a sexy, murderous agent working for a rebellious group, the Monicans, in opposition to the totalitarian Bregna government.

The title of the film provides a spring board for the awe-inspiring aspects of the film.

What's so "Aeon":

Aeon: An inestimable long stretch of time.

An aeon is the amount of time viewers of this film will be thinking about Theron's costumes. Her wardrobe is seductive, unforgiving and future modish.

As cigarettes can work to portray a type of persona in many movies, Theron's striking threads exert themselves as an extremely provocative personality.

Costume design by Beatrix Aruna Pasztor is not only elegant on Theron, but the whole cast is perfectly dressed to match the futuristic scenery. Pasztor did such an extraordinary job with garments that the characters' motives are easily recognizable without the actors even opening their mouths. Since this film has somewhat of a complex plot, it's extremely helpful to the viewer that costumes provide a glimpse into the characters' inspiration.

What's so "Flux":

Flux: A proceeding surge.

Editing in this film is tremendously rapid. Throughout the film, shots only last for a couple of seconds then the camera changes position.

The swift editing works sometimes, but at other times is disorienting to the viewer.

In the violent and action-packed scenes, the whirlwind editing doesn't work because the viewer is unable to spatially distinguish the locale. But in the more mundane scenes, the fast editing is a unique and creative take on character activity.

There's a scene in which Theron is in jail where the lighting fits lustrously. The prison space is communicated clearly and creatively in a very short amount of time.

Overall, the film works because the complicated plot is presented clearly and the scenery is uniformly smooth and chic.

Share and discuss “Stylish 'Flux' heavy on lush scenery” on social media.