Spartan baseball team ends season with win

The MSU baseball team finished its season with a win, after dropping the first three games on the road at Northwestern this weekend.

The Spartans (22-31 overall, 10-18 Big Ten) won Sunday 6-2, riding the bat of sophomore left fielder Ryan Basham. The Lowell, Ind., native smacked a home run, going 3-for-5 with two RBIs in the MSU victory.

The Wildcats (26-28, 14-18) could only muster two runs, after scoring 32 runs in the three previous games. With the results, MSU's season is over because they did not qualify for the Big Ten Tournament.

On Friday, MSU was involved in a shootout and were shot down by a 15-run effort by the Wildcats. The visitors put up 10 runs of their own, including building a 10-0 lead, but it was not enough, as Northwestern scored five runs in the sixth inning and six runs in the eighth.

Freshman second baseman Steve Gerstenberger hit his first career home run and went 4-for-4 with two runs batted in, two runs scored and a walk.

On Saturday, the Spartans were swept in a doubleheader, 7-5 in the first game and 10-4 in the second game. MSU lost a 4-0 lead in game one and a 1-0 lead in game two.

In game one, sophomore right fielder Adam Tripp hit a home run and sophomore shortstop Troy Krider went 3-for-4 with an RBI to lead the Spartans offensively. Junior reliever Jeff Gerbe took the loss for the MSU pitching staff, making him 1-3 on the season.

In game two, freshman center fielder Ryan Sontag was 2-for-2 with a walk and scored three of the four MSU runs in the game.

Share and discuss “Spartan baseball team ends season with win” on social media.