Lugnuts come back to sting Rattlers

Lugnuts pitcher Daryl Harang winds up for a pitch during the fourth inning of the game against the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers on Monday night at Oldsmobile Park. —

Lansing - Down one run in the bottom of the seventh inning, the Lansing Lugnuts finally broke through against Wisconsin starting pitcher Jason Snyder, scoring three runs en route to a 5-3 win Monday night.

"We do give up runs early, but these guys come back. They're resilient," Lugnuts manager Ken Joyce said. "They know what they need to do offensively - a great job of situational hitting, getting guys over and getting them in."

Lansing had only one run on four hits through the first five innings, then they picked up a solo home run by first baseman Chip Cannon in the bottom of the sixth inning. The blast to right center field made it a 3-2 ball game.

Lugnuts center fielder Yuber Rodriguez led off the seventh inning with a double, and catcher Curtis Thigpen followed with a base hit to center, tying the game at 3-3. A double by right fielder Eric Nielson and two walks loaded the bases for shortstop Ryan Klosterman, who's sacrifice fly plated the fifth and final Lugnuts run.

"We just kept plugging away, and finally we got some runs across," Klosterman said. "We've come back a few times this year, and I don't think anybody on this team ever thinks we're out of a game."

Po-Hsuan Keng picked up the win in relief of Daryl Harang, who made his first start since his college days. Harang, who usually comes out of the bullpen, said the pitching effort was good by all three pitchers, including closer Danny Hill, who picked up his 10th save.

"I knew (the coaches) needed four (innings) out of me, so I was on a pretty low pitch count," Harang said. "They brought Keng in, and he did an excellent job, came in and started throwing strikes. (Keng) got us to Danny, and he picked up another save."

Keng (2-1) had six strikeouts in only three and two-thirds innings of work, while giving up only two hits.

Wisconsin got on the scoreboard first, after a passed ball by Thigpen allowed Timber Rattlers second baseman Asdrubal Cabrera to move into scoring position. Cabrera was then driven in on a single hit by Wisconsin right fielder Mike Wilson.

After the Timber Rattlers added another run in the second inning, the Lugnuts got their first run courtesy of an error by Cabrera, who dropped a ball in the middle of a double-play attempt.

With one out, Rodriguez singled and then was followed by a walk by Thigpen. Things got interesting when Nielson appeared to be hit by a pitch at the plate.

Home plate umpire, Nick Nolde, called the pitch a ball and said it did not hit Nielson. After Joyce complained about the call, Timber Rattlers manager Scott Steinmann was kicked out of the game by Nolde for arguing that the pitch was a foul ball. Nielsen then hit a fielder's choice in which Cabrera made the error, allowing the Lugnuts to score.

The Lugnuts and Timber Rattlers finish a four-game series at 10:35 a.m. today at Oldsmobile Park, 505 E. Michigan Ave. in Lansing.

Share and discuss “Lugnuts come back to sting Rattlers” on social media.