MSU takes on winless Valparaiso

Then-sophomore right fielder Elizabeth Peterson eyes the ball as it comes toward the plate in the Big Ten Tournament on May 13. The Spartans take on Valparaiso today and open the home season Tuesday against Loyola-Chicago. —

The MSU softball team has had time to rest and prepare for its away game against Valparaiso today, after its first home games were canceled last weekend.

The Spartans were originally scheduled to play Central Michigan last Thursday and Loyola-Chicago on Saturday. The games were postponed because of poor field conditions at Old College Field.

Valparaiso has a record of 0-17 this season. Its leading hitter is Megan Carroll, with a .333 average and 12 hits. Last year, MSU won both games of its double header against Valparaiso.

The Spartans said they are rested, ready and excited for the game today.

Junior catcher Amy Szawara said the team has been working mainly on its offense.

Senior Janette Hurtado, who plays second base, said the team also has been focusing on its defense to get in top shape for its upcoming games.

"We've been working on any holes in our game," Hurtado said.

MSU head coach Jacquie Joseph said the team is looking for a win against Valparaiso today, no matter what it takes.

"I don't care if it's a close game or a blowout, as long as we win," Joseph said.

Many of the players on the team said they are trying to focus on playing a good softball game, rather than who they are playing.

"We don't play the jersey, we play the actual game," Hurtado said.

Sophomore outfielder Nicole Mercado said today's game will be tough, even though Valparaiso has not recorded a win.

"Both teams are going to bring their A-game. It's going to be a good game," Mercado said.

Sophomore Rachel Turney's pitching record is 5-9 this season, and sophomore pitcher Christy McGrew's record is 2-4. Joseph said she did not know which of the two would start the game, but both would see some playing time.

After the Spartans go head-to-head with the Crusaders, they will start the Big Ten season on Friday against Indiana and then play Purdue on Sunday.

"We're really looking forward to kicking (the Big Ten season) off, and hopefully we'll get off to a good start," Joseph said.

The Spartans will play their first home game on Tuesday when they face Loyola-Chicago.

Share and discuss “MSU takes on winless Valparaiso” on social media.