Prior to resume with Cubs on Friday

Chicago Cubs pitcher Mark Prior tips his hat to the crowd after being pulled in the fifth inning May 25 at Oldsmobile Park in Lansing. Prior was pitching for the Lugnuts while recovering from injuries and will return to the Cubs on Friday. —

Chicago - Mark Prior will return back to the major league, making his first start with the Chicago Cubs on Friday after spending the first two months of the season on the disabled list.

Prior, who has been sidelined with an inflamed right Achilles' tendon and sore right elbow, was impressive in his third rehab start Sunday when he allowed three hits and two runs while striking out 10 in 5 1-3 innings for Triple-A Iowa.

Prior pitched the first two games of his rehab tour with the Lansing Lugnuts and defied conservative estimates - pitching an extra inning in his second game to help the 'Nuts turn the tables on the West Michigan Whitecaps to win 7-6.

During both games with the 'Nuts, Prior allowed just one hit and one walk, and threw 13 strikeouts in a combined 7 1/3 innings.

Now, he's ready to return to the Cubs and will face the Pittsburgh Pirates on Friday at Wrigley Field.

The decision was made Monday after Prior had a meeting with Cubs manager Dusty Baker and pitching coach Larry Rothschild.

Prior went 18-6 last season in his full major league season, including 10-1 in the final two months to lead the Cubs to the playoffs. He made the All-Star team.

He hasn't pitched for the Cubs since the fateful Game 6 of last year's National League Championship Series against the Marlins.

He took a three-hit shutout into the eighth inning of that game.

The Cubs were five outs away from the World Series before Florida scored eight times.

The Marlins won Game 7 before beating the Yankees in the World Series.

Lansing has recently become a revolving door for Cubs pitchers on rehab - with pitcher Ryan Dempster making a few starts.

The media frenzy surrounding Prior's games in Lansing led to accelerated ticket sales.

Share and discuss “Prior to resume with Cubs on Friday” on social media.