Juniors picked in MLB Draft

E.L. native, son of former Tiger taken

Head coach Ted Mahan congratulates junior outfielder Travis Gulick after hitting a two-run home run, May 23, against Northwestern at Kobs Field in East Lansing. Gulick was one of two MSU juniors taken in MLB Draft this weekend. —

MSU juniors, right fielder Travis Gulick and catcher Erik Morris were selected in the 2004 Major League Baseball draft, Tuesday.

The draft spans over two days and 50 rounds.

For Gulick, the two days of sitting in front of his computer listening to the 2004 MLB draft online seemed endless until his name was finally called Tuesday afternoon.

Gulick was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 23rd round of the Major League Baseball Draft, the 686th pick overall.

"It's been a long process," Gulick said. "I was real disappointed that I didn't go yesterday but it's not a big deal because the opportunity presented itself today."

Morris was drafted in the 44th round by the Philadelphia Phillies as the 1,319th pick overall. He is the son of former major league pitcher Jack Morris.

Gulick and Morris were two of 22 Big Ten players taken in the draft, the league's largest total in the last four years. They are also the first Spartans to be drafted since 2002 when five players were taken.

The excitement of being drafted showed in Gulick's broad smile, but now the junior star faces a difficult decision.

Under the draft rules, Gulick has the option of signing with the Diamondbacks and forgoing his final year of eligibility or coming back for his senior year and putting his name back in for the 2005 draft.

"The Arizona Diamondbacks have my rights for the next 364 days until the next draft," Gulick said. "I can return for my senior season and have the opportunity to be drafted again next year."

MSU head coach Ted Mahan has known Gulick for more than 10 years since the time the local standout started attending MSU's camps and watching the Spartans games from the stands. Mahan was excited with the news of the player whose dream has always been to make it to the pros.

"Travis grew up only a couple of miles from here which makes it even more fun," Mahan said. "I remember watching Travis on the soccer fields throwing and catching with his dad about eight or nine years ago."

"You knew that you really had a guy that loved baseball when he was doing those things between innings."

Having local roots has created a strong fan base that has been very special to Gulick over the past three years.

"I have a lot of supporters around this area and it's great to see them at the home games," Gulick said. "They're all real happy to see my advancement and things going well for me at MSU."

The first-team All-Big Ten honoree finished the season with a .310 batting average, 11 home runs and a team-high 52 RBI. Mahan said that Gulick didn't have his best season this year, but his improvement has steadily increased.

"Each year Travis has gotten better even if his stats don't show it this year," Mahan said. "He's the kind of player who plays extremely hard, works hard at the game and he has a lot of God given talent which when you add all those together, I think you can go very far in professional baseball.

Gulick said that he will weigh his options with his parents and coach before making a decision about whether to return for his senior year.

"It's not out of the question, I love it here," Gulick said.

Mahan hopes that Gulick will stay to work on finishing his degree, helping the Spartans to another strong season and improving his draft position.

"If Travis comes back we'd have seven of our nine position players back and a chance to have a really, really good team," Mahan said. "He would also have the opportunity to improve his draft position, he's worth more than a 23rd round pick."

Dan Gulick, Travis' father, was excited by his son's selection and happy with the Diamondbacks' organization. Gulick said, however, that the decision over whether to stay or leave will be difficult for the former East Lansing High School star.

"Travis loves the students at MSU, playing for the Spartans and his whole experience there," Gulick said. "But he is also excited about the possibility of moving forward in baseball."

Share and discuss “Juniors picked in MLB Draft” on social media.