MSU to face Texas A&M at Regionals

Second straight post season for 'U'

MSU freshman infielder Nicole Mercado fields a ball against Wisconsin on April 11 at Old College Field. —

A broad smile formed on Jessica Beech's face as she couldn't contain her excitement after learning her team's destination for the NCAA Tournament.

The senior pitcher clapped loudly with her teammates as cheers erupted throughout the Berkowitz Basketball Complex. The MSU softball team had found out it will head to Athens, Ga. to face Texas A&M in the first round of the NCAA Regional on Thursday.

"It's a great draw for us," Beech said. "We feel like we can compete with all the teams in our bracket."

This is MSU's second consecutive NCAA tournament bid and fourth since 1997.

The Spartans are the No. 5 seed in Region 8, and will face the No. 4 seeded Aggies (32-20) at 3 p.m. Thursday.

The tournament is double elimination so if the Spartans lose they will go to the loser's bracket facing the loser of the game between No. 1 seed Washington and No. 8 seed Tennessee-Chattanooga at 10 a.m. Friday. If the Spartans win Thursday, they will face the winner of that game at 3 p.m. Friday.

The Spartans have not faced Texas A&M this season but are not overlooking their opponent.

"We know that they are a good team and from a good conference, the Big 12," head coach Jacquie Joseph said. "We know it will take our absolute best effort to win one game."

MSU earned its bid by winning the Big Ten Tournament in Ann Arbor, securing the Big Ten's only automatic spot.

The Spartans had been struggling prior to the tournament, posting a 5-9 record in regular season Big Ten play, and were unsure whether the team would even make the tournament.

"To be honest, I wasn't really sure then," Joseph said.

"We're playing some great ball right now and we are very excited to be headed down to Athens."

The Spartans have not faced any of the teams in their bracket but it have gone 9-12 against other NCAA tournament teams this year, including Big Ten teams Michigan, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern and Ohio State.

In MSU's regional appearance last year, the team went 3-1 before losing in the Regional final to the eventual champion UCLA.

"We're hoping to top last year's performance which will be tough since we made it to the championship game," first baseman senior Nat Furrow said.

"But we're playing well and being very aggressive mentally right now, both on the plate and on defense."

The aggressive attitude seems to have the team in a winning mindset. The players attitudes show the confidence of a team with tournament experiences.

"The kids know what to expect now," Joseph said. "Our seniors have really come on for us and these seniors that have been here before will transfer down that confidence to the younger players."

The senior laden team is focused on continuing its drive to a national championship, with the seniors leading the way.

"We've got a great group of seniors who have really been leading the team," Beech said. "And we are not ready to be done."

Share and discuss “MSU to face Texas A&M at Regionals” on social media.