'U' ready to face Boilermakers

As MSU junior pitcher Jon Kowalski tagged first base for the final out to secure the Spartans' 8-7 victory over Northwestern, his teammates erupted into celebration.

The victory over Northwestern Sunday ensured the Spartans the No. 4 seed in the Big Ten Tournament and gave the team a boost of confidence heading into their opening game.

"It was good for the team to come out and get a win heading into the tournament," senior designated hitter Scott Koerber said. "The seniors got to leave the field as winners and feel confident that we can go to the tournament and compete."

MSU finished the regular season tied for third in the Big Ten with Michigan. However, the Spartans lost the tie-breaker to receive the fourth seed for this week's tournament.

The Spartans will face No. 5 seed Purdue in the first game of the double-elimination tournament Wednesday in Minnesota at 1:05 p.m. at Siebert Field.

"Getting to face Purdue after they took three out of four from us earlier this season is definitely motivating," senior pitcher Bryan Gale said. "It's a revenge thing."

Although the tournament is double elimination, MSU head coach Ted Mahan understands the importance of winning the opening game.

"If you don't win that first game, it's almost impossible to win the tournament," Mahan said. "You put yourself at a real disadvantage."

The Spartans plan on winning by sending their top pitcher, Gale, to the mound Wednesday against the Boilermakers. Gale (4-4) only has a .500 record this season, but is the No. 1 starter for MSU.

"He's our best pitcher now and he's been our best pitcher for the past four years," Mahan said. "You need to pitch well to get a win and with him on the mound it gives us that opportunity."

If the Spartans win their first game against Purdue, the team will face either Minnesota or Ohio State in the second round. Minnesota won the regular season Big Ten title and is hosting the tournament and the Spartans have yet to face the Golden Gophers this season.

"Minnesota was our first series in 2003 so it's been a very long time since we've seen this team," Mahan said. "Obviously they are a very good team and with their bye in the first round, it's going to be a difficult task to beat them."

The Spartans have relied on their hitting for most of the season, but Mahan believes that may not be the most important aspect this weekend for the Spartans.

"Hitting has been one of our strengths all season," Mahan said. "Pitching, however, will be a big key to advancing this weekend. Each pitcher must pitch as best as they can or we won't advance."

Even facing such tough competition, the Spartans believe that winning the tournament is a possibility. MSU was in the running for the regular season title until the final weekend and feels that it has the tools to compete for a title.

"We certainly have a chance to win the tournament," Mahan said. " We have enough depth on the mound and enough guys at bat. It just depends on whether we can put pitching, hitting and defense together at one time."

While the Spartans are confident in their chances, their focus remains on playing Purdue and getting a win on day one.

"If you lose that first game, you pretty much have to play twice a day for the rest of the tournament," Gale said. "That first win is huge."

Share and discuss “'U' ready to face Boilermakers” on social media.