WEB ONLY: Softball mauls Golden Grizzlies, 7-0 and 8-0

Jessica Beech pitched her third no-hitter of the season and senior Nat Furrow hit two home runs as MSU swept Oakland on Wednesday at Old College Field by scores of 7-1 and 8-0, respectively.

Beech is now alone atop the Big Ten in wins, with 18.

"I was thrilled with the effort, because a lesser team would've had a letdown today," MSU head coach Jacquie Joseph said. "We just hit the ball and did what we had to do."

Furrow earned a home run in each contest for her third and fourth of the year. Her first home run at the bottom of the sixth also brought home freshman outfielder Nicole Merado, putting the Spartans up, 6-0, at that point. Furrow's second round-tripper closed out the afternoon.

"Every aspect of our game came through this afternoon," said Furrow, who plays first base. "I'm having a lot of fun out there, as are my teammates, so I just feed off their energy."

Freshman Christy McGrew pitched the first outing and was solid, giving up the only run at the top of the seventh inning to shortstop Camie Knoor.

The Spartans' pitching has been a question recently, with Beech not dominating like last season and McGrew struggling in her first year.

But the two pitchers and the team are riding high from the two victories and hope to carry the momentum as they hit the road for the next four outings back to back, starting Friday at Ohio State.

"I told the players after the game that we really should be feeling good about ourselves right now," Joseph said. "We've got a good team, we're on a bit of a roll - let's take this right into the weekend."

Joseph said Beech and McGrew both will see pitching time this weekend.

MSU improves its record to 23-16 on the season while Oakland drops its 19th straight for the 9-28 record. The Grizzlies lost twice despite committing just three errors. Joseph said this shows how much parody exists in the game of softball.

"They're not a team that's as bad as that record," she said. "It's just that you can play well and lose. They didn't play poorly."

Share and discuss “WEB ONLY: Softball mauls Golden Grizzlies, 7-0 and 8-0” on social media.