Spartans' win streak halted at 12

The red-hot MSU baseball team's (16-12 overall, 6-2 Big Ten) winning streak was extinguished at 12 games after losing their final two contests in a weekend series with Illinois (10-16, 3-5).

MSU head baseball coach Ted Mahan said his team is tired and that is a factor that played into the Spartans' streak being snapped this weekend. But despite back-to-back losses, Mahan said it was an important 12 games to win, adding that the weekend still was a success.

"In baseball, to split on the road or win more than your share on the road, you'll have a good season," Mahan said.

The Spartans' second-straight loss wasn't an Easter treat, losing 5-1. Senior captain James Moreno scored the Spartans' lone run in the fifth inning.

In the fifth, Moreno placed a bunt down the left line to take first base. Freshman designated hitter Sean Walker struck out at the next at bat, but freshman shortstop Troy Kider's ground out to second allowed Moreno to get into scoring position. Moreno took third on a wild pitch, while the next batter, sophomore center fielder Alan Cattrysse, took a base on balls. On a passed ball, Cattrysse headed to second, and Moreno ran in for the Spartans' only score.

"I hoped to (gain momentum)," Moreno said of his fifth inning score. "I got on base that inning, and if we were to get a run each inning, we might've had a chance. But their pitching did keep us off our game."

MSU freshman pitcher Craig Brookes tossed six innings, striking out five with four runs allowed on five hits, while walking three batters. Sophomore Jeremy Dow, redshirt freshman John Dwan and freshman Clay Kovac each pitched in relief.

The bulk of the Spartans' winning streak was achieved at home in the friendly confines of Kobs Field with Kobs Korner - the newly ordained student cheering section - in attendance. The Spartans return Tuesday to play at their home away from home, Oldsmobile Park, to host Wayne State at 5 p.m.

"It's fun to play at (Oldsmobile Park)," Mahan said. "The kids really enjoy it."

Saturday, the Spartans' loss, 3-0, in the second game of a doubleheader spelled the end of the team's winning streak. In Saturday's first win, the Spartans nabbed their 12th-straight win, 5-3.

Sophomore second baseman Oliver Wolcott and Cattrysse led the Spartans in game one. Wolcott went 2-for-3 with an RBI and two runs scored, including a home run, while Cattrysse went 2-for-2 with two scores. Junior Travis Gulick, in the midst of a 21-game hitting streak, ended his batting reign, earning base on a fielder's choice.

"It was a lot of pressure," Gulick said of his 21-game hitting streak. "But now it's good to have the pressure off."

The Spartans headed to Illinois Friday with a 10-game winning streak on the line. The Spartans' first game, a 4-2 decision, was successful Friday, continuing their march to 11. Junior catcher Erik Morris led the Spartans with a two-run homer - his fifth of the season - in the third inning. Gulick continued his batting triumph with his 21st-straight hit with a leadoff double in the fourth.

Share and discuss “Spartans' win streak halted at 12” on social media.